· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    If you water is held in a big storage tank nearby, then that's city water and by law they have to treat it with sanitizing chemicals before it comes into your home. I believe you have simply been "lucky" and probably due to the smaller water changes.

There is no reason to believe Amquel kills fish. Amquel has been around longer than dirt and used by thousands. Often people will write such nonsense when perhaps their fish died due to being in an uncycled tank and they just think something else killed them so blame it on something else.

Beware of the nonsense you read on the internet. Often it's some 8 year old kid that wrote it.
    LOL

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Beware of the nonsense you read on the internet. Often it's some 8 year old kid that wrote it.
    LOL
    +1 Lady Hobbs

There is no clearer truth that what she just said right there.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the posts AC'ers. I'm finally starting to understand how cycling works and will be working at correcting my mistakes. I guess I could use Amquel plus, but it still has me nervous.

Am I able to treat the water for chlorine after it is in the tank (added during water change)?
    110 Gallon New World Cichlid Tank
    Tiger Oscar, Large Common Pleco, Blood Red Parrot, A lot of Black Convicts.

0 Not allowed!
    You can either add the dechorinator directly to the new water you will be adding, OR add it to your tank first before adding the new water - it will mix immediately.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, as it is I have a large tank and filling it is already a pain. I don't use buckets, just a hose connected to my gravel vac.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So, I looked up the Prime conditioner and I will probably be picking up some of that. My last question (hopefully) is do I add the suggested dose for the amount of water I'm replacing, or the amount of water in the whole tank. Keep in mind I will be adding the dose of Prime to the tank itself prior to refilling it.

Btw, love you guys/gals. Thanks for answering my newb questions.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Either is fine. I add for the whole tank, others only for the water they are replacing. Both work fine, but if you are using a hose to fill your tank it would probably be best to add enough for the whole tank first, then add the water.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, I'll go with that suggestion.

0 Not allowed!
    A warning about Prime before using it. Prime STINKS. Don't be alarmed! I know when I first opened a bottle I thought I had gotten a bad batch. Smells like rotten eggs, frankly. Its how it is supposed to smell, and it will NOT make your tank smell like that.

Just a heads up!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiari
    A warning about Prime before using it. Prime STINKS. Don't be alarmed! I know when I first opened a bottle I thought I had gotten a bad batch. Smells like rotten eggs, frankly. Its how it is supposed to smell, and it will NOT make your tank smell like that.

Just a heads up!
    That is a little disconcerting the first time you open a bottle.
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys