· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Water Testing/Cycling

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so I've had this established tank for about a year and a half and never really do any water testing (don't shoot me). I do about 35% water changes weekly with tap water and don't add any chemicals to it. Occasionally I'll add some salt to help fight any parasites/ich. For the most part my fish seem to be thriving (see my videos in the video section). This method has worked well for me as my fish are growing nicely and my water looks clear.

I read a lot of posts about people checking their tap water and pH/nitrite/nitrate levels of their tank. Should I be adding some some chemicals when I do my water changes? What test kits are affordable and offer accurate readings?

This is a loaded question I know, and I'm sure it's been touched on numerous times. If you can point me to a thread with good information or give me some good starter hints on which products to buy I can research it from there.

Thanks AC community!
    110 Gallon New World Cichlid Tank
    Tiger Oscar, Large Common Pleco, Blood Red Parrot, A lot of Black Convicts.

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

3 Not allowed!
    On one hand if it's not broken don't fix it. On the other hand you have had to deal with ich in the past. Ich is often caused by stress making the fish succumb to the parasite.
    If you don't test your water, you have no idea how much nitrates are in the tank and it is impossible to know if weekly 35% water changes are adequate. High nitrate levels stress fish.
    If you are certain there is no chlorine or chloramines in your tap water then conditioners are not necessary, but if there is even a small chance they exist in your tap water then it is necessary to neutralize them or your fish will be stressed and succumb to disease, parasites and toxins.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the answer. Agreed, don't fix what's broken. I've only seen ich once and it was during the infancy of the tank. I just add salt preemptively for piece of mind. Generally the fish look healthy and sometimes the pleco looks stressed, but as long as the temps are right the cichlids seem very happy. I did look up the water testing results from my water company and they are listing the chlorine levels as .43 ppm on average.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Although I'm not sure what the tap water contains when it comes out of my line. The water does get stored in a large storage tank near by.

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AzCichlids
    don't fix what's broken.
    That's not what I said. lol

Generally it's recommended to not add salt as a preemptive treatment for ich. It is thought that doing so may make the ich resistant to salt as a treatment.
    If your water company is adding chlorine to the water you can either use a conditioner, most recommend prime, but any that claim to neutralize chlorine/chloramine will do, or if you are certain it is chlorine, fill buckets full of water for tank maintenance and add an air stone and let it run a day or two before you do the water change as this will give enough time for the chlorine to gas off. If it's chloramine in the water, you really should be using a de-chlorinator.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Haha, sorry I typed that wrong.

I just went out and bought a testing kit and some Amquel Plus. However, I just looked it up and some people are claiming it killed their fish. Does anyone have any experience with this product? I do not want to risk harming my fish what so ever.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've decided against using anything like Amquel plus. It's not worth the risk of losing my beloved friends :)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, it looks like my Nitrate levels are a bit high. I may need to increase my water changes to about 50 - 55 %. Ammonia and Nitrite look low though, and my pH is good.

Having the Oscar and the Pleco in combination of over feeding and not enough water change could be the problem. Glad I got the test kit.

0 Not allowed!
    I have no experience with Amquel Plus, however I do use Prime, and it does not harm fish. Neither does Stress Coat, nor aquasafe or several others. I have never heard of amquel harming fish personally.

If you have even trace amounts of chlorine in your water supply, each time you add water, that chlorine kills off beneficial bacteria in your filter. Each, and every single time. Prolonged exposure to chlorine will indeed stress your fish, but particularly the pleco, pleco's are much more delicate as they do not have the harder scales of fish.

If your ammonia and nitrites are not zero, then your tank is not fully cycled, or, the cycle is constantly having to restart after being exposed to chlorine killing it off on a regular basis

You may indeed be lucky so far, that all is good, and nothing too terrible has happened with your fish. However, without a full cycle the aquarium will be fragile at best, and prone to any parasite that does invade.

Pleco's should not be exposed to salt. As stated above earlier, they are scale less fish, part of the catfish family, and do not do well with salt.

0 Not allowed!
    It's good your having no issues but Ammonia & TrItes should be zero in a cycled tank - Just a heads up on that.

+ 1 to no more salt and as mentioned previously chlorine will gas off over time but chloramines will not.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 02-13-2012 at 01:13 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.