· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default zebra pleco questions

0 Not allowed!
    would zebra plecos do okay in a 55 gallon planted tank with cardinal tetras and a pair of german blue rams. sense my water isn't the type for rams in gen, neutural to alikline ph, I was planning on using RO water and adding remineralize to help add back lost minernals.

Would zebra plecos bother the rams or tetras, do they like the same water as rams, do they eat plants i heard they are carnivores

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For a pond in your backyard! - Pleco380   GO TIGERS!! - Crispy   Got your shortstop player right here, for your team. Blue Ram ;D - bignellm   Cheers for helping with my pics! and heres a firemouth cause I love em!! - ScottishFish   Ballpark frank anybody? - homemadepopcorn   
    Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - MLBfan   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't see any problem to adding zebras
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Would zebras like RO water with a ph of 5 though. and would they do okay kept singly in a planted tank with driftwood. I know Rams love this type of water. I'm thinking I would do a 50% 50% mix of tap and RO, or 100% RO as i'm not sure the mixing would do well- may cause ph problems..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For a pond in your backyard! - Pleco380   GO TIGERS!! - Crispy   Got your shortstop player right here, for your team. Blue Ram ;D - bignellm   Cheers for helping with my pics! and heres a firemouth cause I love em!! - ScottishFish   Ballpark frank anybody? - homemadepopcorn   

0 Not allowed!
    Zebras do like slightly acidic water, but 5 may be too acidic, sorry I'm not too sure on how far that fish can go.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    so maybe a mix 50% 50% with R0 and tap water. Which would save me money.

I think if i just pick two rams and a school of tetra's one species, odds are rams wont be a pair... they'll just look good with the plants and they wont harass the tank mates because of the fact they are not trying to breed.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Why do you want the zebra pleco's? They are beautiful fish, but given a properly furnished tank you'll seldom/never see them. They're typical Hypancistrus, mainly active after the lights are out.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't know that... I liked the way they look I didn't think about them hiding all the time.

Are there plecos that stay small ( under 5) that can live in a 55 gallon that are more outgoing. tank mates would be a school of tetras and 2 blue rams. I would have driftwood and live plants.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Albino Bristlenose plecos , at least the ones I have mostly hide during the day and clean algae, but they are usually easily found because they lack camouflage. You could by a small group (4) of them. They also are sometimes available in pet stores as long finned. I find that at night these guys are interesting. I have a male and a female (I believe, mine are still a little young) and the male is a little bit of a bully, fun to watch them, but again, they are nocturnal. These guys stay about 4" to 5"