· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Emerald Green corycat deaths

0 Not allowed!
    Hello -

I have tried two different emerald green corycats in my cycled, 92 gal overflow. pH is 6.8-7.0, very consistent, ammonia/nitrites/nitrates all 0 (API liquid kit). The first cory was incredibly active for about a month, then immediately after a gravel vac and water change became very stressed and died within 24 hours.

About two weeks later I added two sterbai corys, they are doing fine still. The second emerald was acquired about the same time, only made it for four days, then did the same as the first - very sudden stress and death within 24 hours. Not assoc with a water change this time.

Any thoughts on what is happening to these guys? I know our water in WA state is relatively hard, but I haven't yet gotten a test kit for hardness so don't have a measurement. Could that be related?

Thanks in advance! This is my first question post so I'm excited to get relies!! :)

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, drmommacat

I noticed in another thread that you were having troubles with gourami health issues. When having those problems, did you attempt to treat your tank with any kind of salt, medicines or chemicals? In general, bottom-dwelling fish (such as corydoras) can be extremely sensitive to chemical additives and do not tolerate the addition of salt.

When you performed your water change, was the temperature and pH of the tapwater roughly the same as the temperature and pH of your tank? If not, the water change could have "shocked" your first cory with the abrupt change of conditions.

In the case of the second corydora, how did you acclimate him (and his friends) to your aquarium? I ask becausee I made that mistake and lost a peppered cory within his first couple of weeks. Thankfully, his remaining friends seem to be okay, but it was a lesson learned.

I hope we can help you solve your mystery.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did treat the tank with salt two times (about 6 weeks apart), and I think the first emerald cory cat was in there for one of those. Haven't done it since. So that may have contributed.

For our water changes we match temp and pH. As for acclimation, we float the new fish for about 10 min, then add a shot glass of our tank water to the bag and wait at least another 10 min. If for any reason we think the fish may be more sensitive, we add another shot and wait another interval. Then when we put them in, we pour them into a net and put only the fish into the tank, not the water they came in. When I say 10 min, often that ends up being longer, like 15-20.

Any thoughts?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We should let a more experienced forum member chime in, but I think we are on to something here. I definitely think the salt treatment could have contributed to the first loss.

Did you do any large water changes after your salt treatments? If not, that salt is still in your water. A very large water change at this point could be problematic, as the hardness of the tap and aquarium water would not match, but I would recommend a series of small water changes (say, 10% once or twice a day for a week) to gradually remove the salt.

Floating the bag and doing some exchange of water was probably helpful to your new cories, but it might not have been enough--especially if there is still salt in the tank. I have been told that they can be on the delicate side, and may need a longer, more gradual and gentle acclimation. Drip acclimation was what was recommended to me when I had my troubles.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Dr. Lew, Cories are sensitive fish and tend to need a very well established aquarium with steady readings to be happy and healthy.

Cories like to be kept in schools. You might consider getting a few more to make them happier.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the ideas. We only ever treated with salt twice, the last time being about 6 weeks ago, with several water changes since then, some of them large, around 50% when we gravel vac. Also- we dealt with a HUGE floating algae bloom for three weeks, during which we were doing 50% changes every day to every other day to try to get rid of it, finally got a UV sterilizer to fix the problem. So, sounds like we messed up a bit there and have probably been stressing all of our fish :( but I think the salt is gone. The second Cory cat death was well after all of that.

I will be staying away from salt from now on!! We are definitely happy to build the Cory cat school, we really like them. Will different species school together?

Thanks again you guys are great!!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The large water changes may have been somewhat stressful, but the good news is it does sound like most or all of the salt is gone, so that is taken care of.

As I understand it, cories are happiest with a group of their same species. So, if you have two julii in the tank, you should look at adding more julii. They will, indeed, appreciate having more buddies to hang around with. Given your recent health issues, I would hold off on adding the additional cories right now. I would step up your regular maintenance, and wait and see if your tank goes several weeks without any more losses or health issues. Meanwhile, you can read up on drip acclimation (there should be some stickies around the forum, or you can Google) and if everybody stays healthy, you'll have the green light to add more cories. With gentle acclimation, things should hopefully go well for you.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just a follow-up to my cory cat questions. After a few weeks of a stable tank with no other problems, we added three more sterbae cories to the two we already had. We did a slow acclimation, not quite drip but very slow, and the five of them are doing great. Sometimes they hang out together, sometimes not, but they all seem happy and active.

Thanks for all the advice!! I love this site it's the best.