· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Angry Rena Filstar xP filter

0 Not allowed!
    Anybody out there ever use one of these filters? You know I had the powerout on Monday and blew both of the Fluval filters. Replaced it with something I never hear of before, but I trust my aquarium salesperson. Well started it up and it ran for about 15 minutes and started making this "coughing noise", water was recycling from input to output. After this when on for about an an half-hour, I figured it was not supposed to be doing this.

Anyone out there have problems with this brand of pump before. It goes back to the store tomorrow!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i have not used these filters but i have read many reviews on this
    this is a good range of filters and RENA is a very reputed company
    maybe you are not operating it properly.
    instead of returning it to the store you can simply ask the store person to give you a demo of using the filter or refere the instruction manual properly

BTW what is the size of the tank and the model no. of the filter ( XP1, XP2, XP3 etc.)
    "-- Journey of million miles begin’s with a single step.......... "

Thanks,
    Shailesh
    132 US Gallons artificially planted
    4 OSCARS

29 Gallons
    Guppies for my Oscars as a treat.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds like you don't have it primed correctly and there is air in the system. Pull the plug and lift 1 corner clamp slightly to allow any air to escape. Just lift it enough till a bit of water escapes then close it. Let it set for 5 minutes while you check all the joints to make sure clamps are tight. The water line inside the filter should be all the way to the bottom of the removable top.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Never heard of two canister filters "blowing" because the power went out. When the power returned, the filters should simply start up again like your heater. Fluvals are noted for airlocks but if the water was not removed, the canisters cleaned or they did nothing but sit there, then nothing should have blown out.

Are they on power strips? Did you check the strips to make sure they are on? I have Fluvals and lost my power numerous times. This makes no sense to me.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

couldn't find a betta so will send a ram - Lady Hobbs   but it needs a mate - Lady Hobbs   For sharing awesome cory advice! - WoadCelt   Welcome to AC - KingFisher   resident betta expert - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    If the hose that is connected to the spraybar is just a TINY bit long, this will happen. Either trim your output hose slightly or "help" the water along by straightening the hose or shaking it slightly (be careful not to shake the hose lose, those clamps that come with the filter are worthless - I replaced mine with metal hose clamps).

Filstars are EXCELLENT canisters, but you have to get the hose length just right or they'll start start chugging, even if initially primed properly.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Bolivian rams, Checker barbs, Harlequin and porkchop rasbora, neon tetra, SAE, otocinclus

"Mini Mbuna" 20g long - 1 M. pulpican, 1 M. joanjohnsonae

"Electric Blue Acara Tank" 75g - Giant danio, tiger barb, Bristlenose pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts!!  Happy New Year! :) - Ellen4God   Thanks for the heads up on tank size - Intentional or not  :-P - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to nick. I also am having the same problems right now and i think it is because of the intake hose is much longer than the output hose (the one connected to the spray bar).

I think you got it backwards though, longer hose of the output wouldn't be a problem as it will take the water longer to leave the canister, thus, making the canister always full.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with the others that this is real odd and you missed something.
    The xp3 is a great filter.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

couldn't find a betta so will send a ram - Lady Hobbs   but it needs a mate - Lady Hobbs   For sharing awesome cory advice! - WoadCelt   Welcome to AC - KingFisher   resident betta expert - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pjaldave
    I think you got it backwards though, longer hose of the output wouldn't be a problem as it will take the water longer to leave the canister, thus, making the canister always full.
    I'm not entirely sure why it makes a difference, but it does. It was a problem in my tank, and it was a problem in my friend's tank (she thought she needed a new filter until I suggested that the issue was with the output hose).

It isn't a matter of the output hose being longer than the input hose, the problem is if the output hose isn't COMPLETELY straight. If there's a bit of a bend to it, for some reason the filter struggles in sending water out.

Generally, we leave the hoses with a bit of slack in them so they don't pull off and drain our tanks... particularly with the Filstars because the clamps aren't very good and it's a real possibility that the hoses might slip off. I replaced the cheapo plastic clamps with metal clamps so my hoses can be more taut, and now my filter works without any blurps. :)
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Bolivian rams, Checker barbs, Harlequin and porkchop rasbora, neon tetra, SAE, otocinclus

"Mini Mbuna" 20g long - 1 M. pulpican, 1 M. joanjohnsonae

"Electric Blue Acara Tank" 75g - Giant danio, tiger barb, Bristlenose pleco

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Unplug the unit. Ensure the clamp that secures the hoses to the unit is in the "UP" position. Fill the input tube with water. Once it is full push the clamp down. Wait for approximately 2 minutes and then plug in the unit. It should create a natural suction at that point. If that doesn't work you probably have a configuration problem with the hoses as mentioned above.
    110 Gallon New World Cichlid Tank
    Tiger Oscar, Large Common Pleco, Blood Red Parrot, A lot of Black Convicts.