· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stocking for a 55g Semi-Aggressive

0 Not allowed!
    This is my old aquarium.

However, it doesn't look at that anymore due to me going off to college, etc. I finally got a chance to bring the aquarium from my mom house to my new house, which is three hours away. I'll post a picture of the new setup once i get my hands on a good camera.

I'm moving away from a typical planted community to something a little bit more aggressive.

My current stocking is:
    5 tiger barbs
    1 austrailia rainbow fish (I know they prefer to be in group but the rest die off over the course of the last 3 years)
    2 cichlid (one of them is an electric yellow and idk about the other)
    1 red-tail shark

My dream stocking:
    5-7 clown loaches
    1 red tail shark
    10-15 tiger barbs
    1 electric yellow cichlid (anyone want a free 5 inches cichlid in middle georgia?)
    1 black pleco

I know that I'm overstocking, but I'll have double filtration (2 filters rate for 55g each) and the aquarium will be fully planted.

My only concern is will the red tail shark be very aggressive toward the pleco since they have similar color and shape? I read that red tail shark are very aggressive against fishes that look like it. I want the pleco to keep aglae growth under control. I normally keep snails to control aglae growth, but I assume they will get eaten by the loaches.

Any advices or tips would be greatly valued.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    5 to 7 clown loaches will never fit in a 55g. Sorry.
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Phil
    yup. Also, Mbuna cichlids (the "electric yellow") should not be mixed with other non-rift lake fish, although I guess you're saying you're trying to rehome it?

Do you know what species you mean by "black pleco"? Some of them will get too big for a 55 gallon.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Phil
    Darn. I was hoping I wouldn't have to hear that. Some site list the clown loach as 12 inches full size and some list them as 7 inches. Though I give it a try. O well, maybe kuhli loach then.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also, red tailed sharks get to be huge, I think around four feet or so.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    you're thinking of red tailed catfish. Red tailed sharks (Epalzeorhynchus bicolor) max out around 4-5".
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, alright, my mistake. I get them confused constantly.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    think the RTS should be alright with a pleco, I love mine! Also the TBs are awesome, but nothing with long fins or the TBs will nip them!

Yeah the CLs are going to get way to big :( plus your going to need a bunch of them.

I do like the KLs they won't get to big, they kinda look like eels more then CLs though if you ask me, so if your going for the look of the CLs then I think you'll be disappointed with the KLs. You dont NEED them persay, your tank would cool without them
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    yup. Also, Mbuna cichlids (the "electric yellow") should not be mixed with other non-rift lake fish, although I guess you're saying you're trying to rehome it?

Do you know what species you mean by "black pleco"? Some of them will get too big for a 55 gallon.
    Most likely it is going to be Hypostomus punctatus or what is available. I live in middle georgia, so the only available pet/fish store within 30 minutes is Petsmart. There is walmart, but I don't ever buy my fish from there.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by icefreeze57
    think the RTS should be alright with a pleco, I love mine! Also the TBs are awesome, but nothing with long fins or the TBs will nip them!

Yeah the CLs are going to get way to big :( plus your going to need a bunch of them.

I do like the KLs they won't get to big, they kinda look like eels more then CLs though if you ask me, so if your going for the look of the CLs then I think you'll be disappointed with the KLs. You dont NEED them persay, your tank would cool without them
    I was thinking about the kuhli loaches just because I love the strip. Same reason why I keep the the tiger barbs. I normally keep cories as bottom dweller, but the clown loaches are so appealing.