· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default 60gal angel and severum tank advice

0 Not allowed!
    Just needing some opinions on a tank I am starting. It is a 60gal tank I will be adding 4 angels 2 severum and a pelco.

I would keep the water temperature between 76- 82F the PH between 6-7.5 and a water hardness of 5-10 do those numbers sound right to you guys?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the fabulous AC!

Please learn about cycling a tank before adding fish.lol If you have already added fish then please read about how to cycle a tank with fish.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...play.php?f=111
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to what Northernguy said.

Also, I don't think four angels in a 60 gallon tank is going to be good. They do better alone or as a mated pair, but even a mated pair could be trouble I believe.

I don't think angels and severums would get along, but I'm not an expert on severums.

Depending on the species, the tank might be too small for a Pleco.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have read extensively on cycleling and just about everything. I have not even gotten the fish yet because I wanted to make sure that I knew all my info first.

There has been a little controversy on angels and severum some people say That the severum would be too territorial. But they don't call severum's the gentle giants of the tropical community for nothing. Would worry more on the angels fin nipping.

I know that angels can be a little aggressive but have relatives that have had around the same amount of angels I'n the same size tank. So I am not to worried about them.

I am mainly wanting the verify the temp and Ph levels i came up with for both those two living together. I want all the fish to be happy.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    If you want a Pleco get a smaller one (the commons get close to 2 feet!)

If you do a lot of things in your tank (as far as hiding spots and what not) you may be okay, though you never know what will happen the angels, the males may kill the others in order to mate or what not, once a mating pair forms remove the others! Though I suggest going with 2 females if possible (should work a little better, but im not an expert!)

How far are you with the cycling? I'm excited to see the tank!
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Codemonkey
    I know that angels can be a little aggressive but have relatives that have had around the same amount of angels I'n the same size tank. So I am not to worried about them.

I am mainly wanting the verify the temp and Ph levels i came up with for both those two living together. I want all the fish to be happy.
    Just because it works for one tank doesn't mean it will work for your tank. Trust me, I know this from experience.

pH doesn't really matter as much, just as long as it's stable and not always changing. If it's always being changed, that will stress the fish out even more than if the pH is higher or lower than they would normally like. I would make sure you keep ammonia and nitrites at 0ppm and nitrates at 0ppm ideally, but less than 15ppm is alright I believe.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethJKR
    Just because it works for one tank doesn't mean it will work for your tank. Trust me, I know this from experience.

pH doesn't really matter as much, just as long as it's stable and not always changing. If it's always being changed, that will stress the fish out even more than if the pH is higher or lower than they would normally like. I would make sure you keep ammonia and nitrites at 0ppm and nitrates at 0ppm ideally, but less than 15ppm is alright I believe.

I will take your advice I will try and get a mateing pair of angels 2 severum and a small pelco for alge control I know both fish love high planted tanks an placesi to hide. Is the temp range good aswell?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I wanted to get two Severums to be alone in my 55 but was told the tank is too small for them. That took care of that. And 4 angels will not work, either, due to the aggression they display for each other. I keep one in my 55 with community fish.

There's no way two one foot severums and a one foot pleco will work in a 4 ft tank.