· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tank

1. Default New Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55 gallon tank with the following mix in it.

2 - Yellow lab Labidochromis caeruleus (Kakusa)
    2 - yellow with black stripe Melanochromis auratus
    2 - kenyi Metriaclima lombardoi
    2 - Jewel Cichlids
    2 - That are blue with yellow edges on their fins
    3 - assorted

Tons of slate rock stacked forming natural bridges, river rock filling in the gaps, drift wood and one large pagoda.

One Top fin 60 on the tank, 200w heater set at 78.

Ordering a canister, not sure on which one. Don't have a ton of money so looking at some of the more inexpensive ones.

Any thoughts or ideas? How am I doing so far?
    Thanks

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    plenty of opinions and polls on here about "best canister filter" if you run a search.
    20gal long planted community

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have read quite a few of them and most are steering toward the more expensive.

0 Not allowed!
    sometimes it can be because you get what you pay for

Have you found a few you are interested in yet ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I used a Rena XP3 on my 55g mbuna tank and was pleased with it. I'm using the same canister plus several smaller filters on my 75.

As far as how you're doing, sounds like a bit of a dangerous mix so far. Two is never a good number with mbuna species... Do you have males? Females? A mixture?

The ones with yellow edges on their fins are likely Acei.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure on males or females. Just went to local experts on fish and went with what they recommended and said would be fine together.

I put 6 in at first, waited a week and then put the other 7 in.

Do you feel I need more than 2 of each? Kind of confused.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    With mbuna, you need either one male of each species or one male, four females of each species. Even then, some combos won't work.

If you have two males, the stronger will kill the weaker. If you have a male and a female, the male will harass the female to death.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will try and get some pics up and you guys can help me figure out who is who.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry but i'm new here, how do I make a new thread. thanks.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    go the the forum you want to post in, and click the "new thread" button at the top of the page.
    20gal long planted community