· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Nope, with 206GPH(more realistically around 150GPH with head height and media) it will be more of a gentle current than a jet stream like you would get from the 406.

If the tank is scratched check out the Novus kit.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller
    Nope, with 206GPH(more realistically around 150GPH with head height and media) it will be more of a gentle current than a jet stream like you would get from the 406.

If the tank is scratched check out the Novus kit.

will do. i was looking at the lifegard 72000 kit but i am going to wait to buy a kit. i am not sure how scratched it is. i was told it needs refinishing so im not sure how much refinishing it will need.
    Link to my Journal: patinthehat's 50g journey
    50g-11 neon tetras, 749 billion pond snails, 3 Bristlenose Plecos, Red Cherry Shrimp, and assassin snails on the way!

3. Default update

0 Not allowed!
    Well i went and picked up my tank and stand this evening. The stand is amazing. Solid wood and very nice construction. The tank, however, is kind of rough. The front would need some heavy refinishing. And the top is completely attached with 3 holes. So large rocks, large pieces of driftwood, etc. are out of the question. On to the pics.

Front View of stand and tank

Side view of tank

Top of tank (lid that doesn't come off)

Pic of can of oatmeal in tank. Hope it helps show how scuffed up it is

Post 1 of 2
    50g-11 neon tetras, 749 billion pond snails, 3 Bristlenose Plecos, Red Cherry Shrimp, and assassin snails on the way!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Closer pic of base

Pic of light that came with it (which does work)

So as you can see, definitely going to need some work. But i have had an idea. Wanted to see what you all thought. If i refinish this, i am looking at $100 bucks for a drill refinish kit, cutting top off to modify tank, lots of labor, and still no guarantee that i will have it polished nice when im done. I was on craigslist and found a 50g glass with an actual top for $60. So instead of busting my back on this one, i am thinking about getting the one off of craigslist and using that for my primary. Then i could take this one, add 2 pieces of acrylic in the middle (to make 2 separate chambers) and i would have 2 QTs or a QT and a breeder tank. Or whatever my little heart desires. What do you all think?

Post 2 of 2

0 Not allowed!
    I would probably invest the $60 into a Novus kit...what you have is a bunch of fine scratches and that kit is supposed to do amazing work on them. Never modify the top of these tanks...it is braced that way for a purpose
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller
    I would probably invest the $60 into a Novus kit...what you have is a bunch of fine scratches and that kit is supposed to do amazing work on them. Never modify the top of these tanks...it is braced that way for a purpose
    I think you are right about the fine scratches. i started looking closer at it and it looks like someone decided to refinish the front and didn't finish.

Didn't know the top of the tank was suppose to be like that. i thought they just glued the lid on (gah im a newb lol). I am not sure if i can get any driftwood in now. well any good size piece. That lady that had the glass tank i was looking at dropped the price to 30 but she has someone looking at it tomorrow morning. if it doesn't sell i might still pick it up. Now to find the Novus kit!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you find the Novus kit and it works, we would love to see some "after" pics.
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Phil
    If you find the Novus kit and it works, we would love to see some "after" pics.
    Most definately. Even if i pick up that glass tank for primary use, i will refinish this one and put up some after pics. If i get some extra cash, i might even pick up a couple different kits and see which one has the best results.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well the lady called me back about the tank and i have decided to go ahead and get it. It is a 50g and it is the correct dimensions for the stand that i have. And it comes with the actual hood w/ light fixtures built in. So this saves me from having to build a canopy right off the bat for the acrylic aquarium. I am going to get a sheet of acrylic and section the one i have into 2 sections so i have 2 smaller tanks. That would give me a QT tank and a breeder tank. or whatever else i would want lol. So now i don't have to worry about a QT tank. I am going to start getting my list of everything i need to order together and post it to see if i am missing anything.

10. Default Shopping list

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so i am starting to put together my shopping list just to get an idea where i stand on what i might be missing and how much i am looking at spending. I am buying from my 50g tank and a QT tank i am setting up as well. Most of the stuff i will probably be buying online at Petco just because they are local, their prices seem to be pretty close to others (on some things), and i had a 3rd reason but forgot. so on to the list!

1. API Freshwater Master Test kit - around $26
    2. Eco Complete Substrate 3 bags (60 lbs worth) - $16.99 a bag
    3. 2 Thermometers w/ suction cup - less than $10
    4. Aqueon Submersible Heater 100w QT - $25
    5. Aqueon Submersible Heater 200w CT - $30
    6. Air Pump w/ 4 outputs (check valves, etc.) - $20
    7. 2 Fluval 206 Canister filters for CT - $90
    8. Aquaclear Power Filter for QT - $40
    9. 50ft Aqueon Water Changer - $59
    10. Numerous chemicals (Seachem Prime, ammonia, etc.) - $20-$30 bucks

We have a creek behind our house so i am going to go searching for driftwood. I did find some cheaper pieces on ebay. Just seems weird buying wood. Still deciding on some plants. Tomorrow when i pick up the new tank, i will see what the lighting situation looks like. Probably will have to buy some new bulbs. So depending on how bad my math is, should be around $500 to have a running QT and a 50g tank (minus the fish). Most of the stuff is Petco. couple things were amazon and the canisters were petsupplies.com. so if you all know of cheaper places to pick up some of these things, let me know. and if i forgot anything too lol.