· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks everyone for the great welcome! I have been reading up on stocking and i am thinking about doing a school (around 10?) tetras, a school of cory cats (again around 7-10?). Any recommendations for a centerpiece fish? I was thinking about an angel fish. not sure though. Are there any small, freshwater sharks that would go well with this setup? Thanks!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good call on the cories, they are an amazing fish! They are so fun to watch when in a big group. As far as tetras I have never kept them.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylanfsh21
    Good call on the cories, they are an amazing fish! They are so fun to watch when in a big group. As far as tetras I have never kept them.

yeah i have really been digging into the different threads on different fish and a lot of people say the corys and the tetras go good together (as long as the tetras aren't stealing all the corys food lol).

Wanted to provide an update though. I think i am going to use sand for a substrate. I do want to add some driftwood. Still deciding on plants (or fake plants). Have decided on corys and tetras. still not sure as to what i want for a centerpiece fish. I am thinking about a different filter though. the more reading ive done, the more im seeing where people are saying choose a filter that does around 2X the size it says it is suppose to do. So i am thinking about going from a Fluval 205 to a Fluval 406. Any suggestions?
    Link to my Journal: patinthehat's 50g journey
    50g-11 neon tetras, 749 billion pond snails, 3 Bristlenose Plecos, Red Cherry Shrimp, and assassin snails on the way!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just started cycling my tank too a couple days ago! It was a little nerve wrecking at first thinking about putting "pure ammonia" into my tank but after awhile you get the hang of it! So good luck and make sure to get a master tester kit!

I've never seen an acrylic tank in action so I'm looking forward to seeing pictures! As for fish, a nice school of corys sounds fun, I'm thinking about getting some for mine tank as well. An angel sounds like a good center piece, that or a gourami, you can get some that are really pretty and you don't have to have more than one, they are perfectly happy alone. I think the prettiest gouramis are the flame gouramis.

I have mostly fake plants and one real java fern, however I wished I would have gotten mostly real plants, they look so much prettier! But I'm not sure on the filters though, I'm still a beginner.

0 Not allowed!
    A cheaper option would be to add a 2nd 205/206 canister. On my 50G I am going to run 2 of these filters...you will actually get a better overall filtration with 2 canisters than 1. You will also be able to use more media on the tank. Plus since you already have the 1 filter, adding a 2nd one will only cost you around $90
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller
    A cheaper option would be to add a 2nd 205/206 canister. On my 50G I am going to run 2 of these filters...you will actually get a better overall filtration with 2 canisters than 1. You will also be able to use more media on the tank. Plus since you already have the 1 filter, adding a 2nd one will only cost you around $90

Ah well the list i had was what i was looking at. I havent actually bought anything yet. Still waiting on tax refund. So without having bought anything yet, is the 2 205s a better option than the 1 406? I also plan on implementing a air pump with the bubble rocks to also help with water circulation
    50g-11 neon tetras, 749 billion pond snails, 3 Bristlenose Plecos, Red Cherry Shrimp, and assassin snails on the way!

0 Not allowed!
    Well if you look at the stats for a 406 it has a capacity of 2.25G, and 383GPH. The 206 has a capacity of 1.25G and 206GPH. So you would have more media capacity and circulation with the 2x206 filters. Price of the 406 is also around $155, the 206 is $84 on Drsfostersmith.com. So the 2x206s would cost a little more but the added circulation and filtration space would make it worthwhile IME. You would also have the benefit of having better tank circulation, and the ability to alternate filter cleanings.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well if you look at the stats for a 406 it has a capacity of 2.25G, and 383GPH. The 206 has a capacity of 1.25G and 206GPH. So you would have more media capacity and circulation with the 2x206 filters. Price of the 406 is also around $155, the 206 is $84 on Drsfostersmith.com. So the 2x206s would cost a little more but the added circulation and filtration space would make it worthwhile IME. You would also have the benefit of having better tank circulation, and the ability to alternate filter cleanings.
    ok that makes complete sense. so would you just put them on opposite ends of the tank?

0 Not allowed!
    Yep that would be your best placement. I would point the returns each toward the middle of the tank...you should avoid dead spots with a setup like that.

4x75Gs coming soon

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep that would be your best placement. I would point the returns each toward the middle of the tank...you should avoid dead spots with a setup like that.
    ok. they wont be knocking over plants or anything with them pointed in the middle will they?

On a secondary topic, tomorrow i am going to pick up my tank. pretty pumped! Once i see it in person, i will see how many scratches it has. hoping it doesn't have too many. once i get my tax return ill start ordering all my equipment too.