· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    that makes me feel better that it really is an alligator gar; however, by you saying "yeah I'm not even gonna touch one" makes me a little nervous. I mean don't get me wrong he's the fish that i got into the hobby to get, so I'm happy about that. what should i set the tank up like? should i have top cover? or what? i have it decently planted now.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlizard311
    that makes me feel better that it really is an alligator gar; however, by you saying "yeah I'm not even gonna touch one" makes me a little nervous. I mean don't get me wrong he's the fish that i got into the hobby to get, so I'm happy about that. what should i set the tank up like? should i have top cover? or what? i have it decently planted now.
    I also got into the hobby to get an Alligator Gar. I finally found "one" and bought it. I was thrilled...Came to find out, it was actually a Florida Gar. Initially I was bummed out, but in the process of learning what Gar I actually did have, I also learned more about the TRUE Alligator Gar. Thank god mine was a Florida Gar!

Alligator Gars are AMAZING creatures, but in my opinion are not even close to being a good first gar. You now own a fish that is capable of reaching 24+ inches in less than a year. It may sound cute now, but it will grow in leaps and bounds.

Don't get me wrong, if I could provide the proper enclosure for one...I would take that challenge in a heart beat. I consider myself to have more first hand Gar experience than 99% of fish keepers out there and still have not jumped into one. just a thought.

I wish you the best of luck and feel free to contact me with any questions. Right now your biggest concern should be future housing. Plain and simple.
    Last edited by Demjor19; 02-09-2012 at 07:23 PM.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    The 90 or 129 gallon that you are considering is not going to be big enough for very long.It will end up being a problem to house unless you have room or a pond big enough to hold such a huge fish.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, these fellows get at least 6 feet, often 10. You are gonna need a swimming pool for this fella.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishkeeper
    Yes, these fellows get at least 6 feet, often 10. You are gonna need a swimming pool for this fella.
    This is not true in captivity. They tend to max out around 4-5 feet.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, still huge!
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishkeeper
    Well, still huge!
    No doubt! I'll agree with you there.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i bought him last sunday... he's already grown 1/2 inch... maybe 3/4 of an inch in a week! I'm pretty happy that he doesn't have legs and opposable thumbs... in a month id wake up to him choking me.

0 Not allowed!
    Like I said...Get A larger tank planned MUCH sooner than later. They even make Pacu and Silver Arowanas look like sow growers.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    What size tank do you figure you'd need to keep an adult specimen, Demjor? I don't know much about gars, but it seems to me that a fish on its way to 4' long is going to require a tank bigger than 95% of aquarists can afford or make space for.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails