· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Water test and temp is fine. Fish are dying from stress?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

We just started an aquarium a week and a half ago. Let the water cycle out and got it tested. We were toldd everything was fine. Have a 10 gallon tank with stones on the bottom, a fake bush, and a "house" they can swim into.

Got a single molly and tetra as starter fish. The tetra died within 5 hours. I found out later that they have a hard time adapting to a new tank, and that I should have purcahsed a few more teras to help them cope with the change.

The molly was doing fine. We purchased one more molly yesterday ( a silver one). The new molly started acting very aggressively toward the first one (an orange one). They are both males. This morning, the orange one died.

So my question is, what kind of fish can I put in with the silver molly? How can I reduce their stress, and help them adapt?

Thanks

BC

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   cheers - Northernguy   This should help to clean up the coffee - Thanks for the rep as well - Cliff   A morning like this requires HOT Coffee! - 850R   thanks for the rep! - sheamurai   
    Autism - Fishin Phil   

0 Not allowed!
    Read this sticky about cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Buy a water test kit, I prefer the API master kit, so that you can test your water at home.

Good luck!
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry but you can not cycle a tank in a week just by filling it with water and letting it run. Without a bio-load (fish) your parameters will always be good as there is nothing in the tank producing waste.

I would suggest to return the molly and read the fishless cycle thread (link below in my sig) and cycle the tank before adding fish. That is the best way IMO.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Your water was "fine" before you bought the fish because nothing was in the tank and there was nothing to test. Now that you have had fish in an uncycled tank for a week, they are releasing ammonia. Now is when you need to began daily testing and doing lots of water changes.

A 10 gallon can get very toxic and very fast with fish in it.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    I'm sorry but you can not cycle a tank in a week just by filling it with water and letting it run. Without a bio-load (fish) your parameters will always be good as there is nothing in the tank producing waste.

I would suggest to return the molly and read the fishless cycle thread (link below in my sig) and cycle the tank before adding fish. That is the best way IMO.
    I forgot to mention that we put a bacterial additive in the water and let it run for a week, instead of letting the bacteria come in naturally. The pet store did a series of test, and said the tank was ready to add fish (we specified it was a starter tank...)

I really don't think it's the water that's harming the fish. We are going to keep the current molly by himself and see how he fares. If he dies, then we need better advice...

Thanks everyone for your input!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    The actual effectiveness of bacterial additives is a topic that is debated here from time to time. But without a food for it to live (fish waste) the bacteria will die off in a few days, maybe quicker.

Regardless if you choose to use these products or not, you will still need to cycle your tank. IMO and IME these additives will (at best) shorten your cycle and help it along. There are no products out there that will instantly cycle a tank for you.

IMO, your LFS gave you some bad advice there.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    +1 with Cliff - the LFS can give you all the advice it wants to but if your tank isn't cycled yet (grown bacteria to handle the ammonia the fish produce), you can continue adding fish and watch them all die or you can add ammonia (for a fishless cycle) yourself, test your water yourself until the filter has completed the nitrogen cycle (0 ammonia & nitrites & 20 or less nitrates) and add fish that will then have a better chance of surviving.

Besides, the LFS wants to keep selling you fish - that's their business - it's your job to prepare your tank properly.

Cycling requires the addition of ammonia (whether from fish or another source) to start it and continue it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first one Tiari - Strider199   It would take me many months to catch up to how many real bettas you have :) - PhillipOrigami   great job with that post - Jaster   Hope power is restored ASAP! - C-Dub   Because I was wrong, and you were right. Sorry. - bethyMT   

0 Not allowed!
    Local fish stores test water with test strips, which someone in this forum quoted as "Being as useful as clipped toenails". They are not effective at giving an accurate reading of the tank water.

My fish store told me my water was fine too, fish died. Got an API test, and found out, my water was FAR from fine.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    +esides, the LFS wants to keep selling you fish - that's their business - it's your job to prepare your tank properly.
    Well this store offers a 5 day return policy on dead fish (with a water sample), which we've exercized twice, so they are shooting themselves in the foot on that one...

The store used drops of various chemicals which turned samples of our aquarium water different colors in the multiple test tubes used. Is that what a "test strip" is?

At the very least, I know that the ammonia level was zero when we put the fish in, so that's not what's killing them (unless ammonia can go from zero to lethal levels in less than two days.

Got a lot of reading to do.. thanks again everyone!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   cheers - Northernguy   This should help to clean up the coffee - Thanks for the rep as well - Cliff   A morning like this requires HOT Coffee! - 850R   thanks for the rep! - sheamurai   
    Autism - Fishin Phil   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter
    (unless ammonia can go from zero to lethal levels in less than two days.
    Actually, in a small tank, it can.
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys