Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 177
  1. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider199
    You do not have to do a water change very time you add new fish kattiq.

    What I meant was that when you add new stock it adds more waste and your BB might need some time to catch up so checking your water parameters every other day will let you know if you need to do a water change because a reading is going up.

    And doing a 20% water change weekly is the best preventative maintenance program one can do for their fish! Great strategy.
    Phew okay! I was about to say. It didn't really make sense to me why you'd need to do it every time you add new fish, but I figured I'd play safe and ask anyways.
    Thanks! I'll probably follow your lead and check every other day since it works well for you.
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community

  2. #22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kattiq
    I like the way both of those look. I do want something that grows fast, so cabomba might be great addition!

    I was planning on adding a few at a time as I had read somewhere you can't overload your tank all at once. Thanks for that tip. :)
    So do I need to do a water change every time I add in new fish? I know I'll need to do at least a 20% each week right? Water changes is something I have yet to research extensively.

    Okay, my bad it's actually a Top Fin 30-- I did have a Top Fin 3000 air pump, I must have gotten the numbers confused.
    Rated Tank Size: up to 30g
    GPH: 150
    So I guess I need a new filter?
    TY

    Numbers confusion is nbd lol. Eventually you will need to upgrade yeah, It's about half the filter that tank requires. I would continue your cycle as normal and stock minimally until the upgrade.

    What you could do is get the same filter again and run both [BONUS: If you alternate cleaning them every other week you will never lose your BB colony]

    Or you could just get a bigger one.

    RE: stock, Adding a few at a time is THE way to go yes. WRT water changes, Many around here do 40 or 50% weekly. I do 40% myself.

    There is no need to do WC when adding fish although I would strongly suggest that you look into a QT tank to prevent introducing diseases into your main tank from new acquisitions.

    Good luck.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

    A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,752

    Awards Showcase

    Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Plus 1 to 850R post!

    I prefer to have two separate filter on my large tank. Reason; exactly what 850R said. Clean them at different intervals so if something happens to one BB colony, your not left out in the cold.
    On my 29 gallon I had a Penguin 150 bio-wheel HOB and a Fluval 205 cannister.
    It was over kill but man it kept the water clear.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

    Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

  4. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R

    Numbers confusion is nbd lol. Eventually you will need to upgrade yeah, It's about half the filter that tank requires. I would continue your cycle as normal and stock minimally until the upgrade.

    What you could do is get the same filter again and run both [BONUS: If you alternate cleaning them every other week you will never lose your BB colony]

    Or you could just get a bigger one.

    RE: stock, Adding a few at a time is THE way to go yes. WRT water changes, Many around here do 40 or 50% weekly. I do 40% myself.

    There is no need to do WC when adding fish although I would strongly suggest that you look into a QT tank to prevent introducing diseases into your main tank from new acquisitions.

    Good luck.
    Geez, I bought a starter kit so I wouldn't have to buy a filter! Oh well, when I do upgrade I should get a filter that's good for 60g then? I'd rather just upgrade because I don't really want two filters on the sides of my tank.

    I've got to get a water changer syphon thing soon too! (I'm thinking Aqueon WC) I'm just holding out till my next paycheck, which I get tomorrow!! And I also need to make sure it will fit on my bathroom sink faucet.
    I don't really have room for a QT, so I guess I'll have to add fish and hope for the best that they don't have any diseases!
    Thanks for your help :)

    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider199
    Plus 1 to 850R post!

    I prefer to have two separate filter on my large tank. Reason; exactly what 850R said. Clean them at different intervals so if something happens to one BB colony, your not left out in the cold.
    On my 29 gallon I had a Penguin 150 bio-wheel HOB and a Fluval 205 cannister.
    It was over kill but man it kept the water clear.
    Oops sorry didn't see this post before I posted mine!
    What do cannisters do differently? I've seem them mentioned around the forum but clearly I am still in the dark. How large is the tank you have both filters on?
    Last edited by kattiq; 02-09-2012 at 12:51 AM.
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community

  5. #25

    Lightbulb


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kattiq
    Geez, I bought a starter kit so I wouldn't have to buy a filter! Oh well, when I do upgrade I should get a filter that's good for 60g then? I'd rather just upgrade because I don't really want two filters on the sides of my tank.

    I've got to get a water changer syphon thing soon too! (I'm thinking Aqueon WC) I'm just holding out till my next paycheck, which I get tomorrow!! And I also need to make sure it will fit on my bathroom sink faucet.
    I don't really have room for a QT, so I guess I'll have to add fish and hope for the best that they don't have any diseases!
    Thanks for your help :)
    Yeah, The starter kits are kinda notorious for not having the most stellar equipment, One for a 60 would be fine yes.

    QT need not be set up all the time - only when you need it.

    Think outside of the glass box - Anything big enough that's uncontaminated and can hold water can be a qt provided you can heat it & filter it. [Check out sponge filters for QT]

    Small plastic trash cans or rubbermaid tubs are not pretty but they work fine. [Use caution with the heater in these] Just some ideas to consider to save your tanks stock.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

    A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

  6. #26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I see you're on a budget and trying to get your main tank together but just wanted to say that you could get a 5 gallon for a QT and put it away when it's not in use.

    It's always good to have a QT because you never know when you'll need to remove a fish from your main tank for one reason or another Or treat newly acquired fish before putting them in the main tank. I'm sure you already know this. I just felt the need to mention it because I actually have two sick fish in my QT and am so glad that I don't have to treat the main tank just to get them better.

    Anyway...Have fun shopping tomorrow
    Last edited by kurly; 02-09-2012 at 01:07 AM.
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank




    Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

  7. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Yeah, The starter kits are kinda notorious for not having the most stellar equipment, One for a 60 would be fine yes.

    QT need not be set up all the time - only when you need it.

    Think outside of the glass box - Anything big enough that's uncontaminated and can hold water can be a qt provided you can heat it & filter it. [Check out sponge filters for QT]

    Small plastic trash cans or rubbermaid tubs are not pretty but they work fine. [Use caution with the heater in these] Just some ideas to consider to save your tanks stock.
    Now I'm kicking myself for not researching things sooner. Haha
    So if I upgraded to another filter I could always just use the old filter in the QT? What if the fish needed to be in there for a couple days, what about the stress level of it not being cycled?

    I see you're on a budget and trying to get your main tank together but just wanted to say that you could get a 5 gallon for a QT and put it away when it's not in use.

    It's always good to have a QT because you never know when you'll need to remove a fish from your main tank for one reason or another Or treat newly acquired fish before putting them in the main tank.

    Have fun shopping tomorrow
    Yes, I am on a budget! I am a college student working in retail and I've already dropped a pretty large amount of $ on the tank and getting it all set up! I'm sure a 5g would be pretty good, I could probably find a cheap one on craigslist or something. What sorts of treatment would you do to the fish you are about to put in your tank?
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,752

    Awards Showcase

    Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Your on the right track. The old filter will have some BB in it as long as it stays wet and if you have a fish or a few fish in quarantine, it will only be there for a short time (if new) or in for a couple of weeks if treating for a bacterial or viral disease. Water changes in a quarantine tank are also necessary. But if medicating, read the direction on the medicine.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

    Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

  9. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider199
    Your on the right track. The old filter will have some BB in it as long as it stays wet and if you have a fish or a few fish in quarantine, it will only be there for a short time (if new) or in for a couple of weeks if treating for a bacterial or viral disease..
    I'll make sure to do that! Thanks Strider :)
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community

  10. #30

    Lightbulb


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kattiq
    Now I'm kicking myself for not researching things sooner. Haha
    So if I upgraded to another filter I could always just use the old filter in the QT? What if the fish needed to be in there for a couple days, what about the stress level of it not being cycled?
    That is an insightful question and I am glad you asked it. i

    It's not quite how it works though-> Check out post #8 here.
    Just ask if you need clarification.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

    A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •