· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, adding plants during the cycle is perfectly fine. You can add one now or wait until later. It's completely up to you.
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good to know. Thanks Phil!
    I know I just read not to fiddle with anything, and knowing myself I'll find something else that needs fixing so I better just keep my hands out until everything is over. Haha

After doing some more research, I think the german rams are going to have to wait because they are $$. Especially if I wanted to get them shipped to my house, because I doubt my LFS has them :\. Looks like guppies will have to suffice for now and I won't fully stock my tank just yet.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay so I'm thinking about getting some more live plants. What are some easy ones I could do that will be relatively easy to care for?

I have one java fern right now, but I'm not sure if I need different lighting! I am just using the light that came with the tank.

And hopefully, the ammonia levels will be coming down any day now. I think I finally got a stock researched and ready to buy! I'm trying not to get too impatient.

How does this look?

Should I add anymore fish in there?
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here you go: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=4074

My favorites so far are Java Fern & Anubias. I figure, if I can't kill them, they must be tough plants.

125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Phil
    Here you go: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=4074

My favorites so far are Java Fern & Anubias. I figure, if I can't kill them, they must be tough plants.

This is fantastic!! Thanks for this, exactly what I needed
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some other easy to grow plants that do good on stock lighting are Cabomba, and water wisteria. The cabomba grows supper fast and looks really great.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kattiq
    Okay so I'm thinking about getting some more live plants. What are some easy ones I could do that will be relatively easy to care for?

I have one java fern right now, but I'm not sure if I need different lighting! I am just using the light that came with the tank.

And hopefully, the ammonia levels will be coming down any day now. I think I finally got a stock researched and ready to buy! I'm trying not to get too impatient.

How does this look?
    http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/...ckImagephp.png
    Should I add anymore fish in there?

Beware of the Bleeding Heart Tetras, they have been known to nip the fins of other passive fish like the Dwarf Rainbow fish you have planned.
    It may work out ok but just saying, I had some Bleeding hearts once and they ended up being bullies in a community tank.
    Also when your ready to start introducing fish to your tank, dont over do it all at once. Get a few at a time. Like a school of one type first, wait a week or so and then a school of another, etc. This way the bacteria can grow and keep up with your stocking. This is also the time to monitor your water parameters. Every second day is what I did. This way as your nitrates go up you can get that water change done before your new buddies are stressed out.

Very nice looking tank kattiq.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Question

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kattiq
    So, I bought a TopFin 29 gallon tank about two weeks ago. It's running a TopFin 3000 Filter
    Thanks for reading! And any tips would be very appreciated!
    This could be WAY off as I am not especially familiar with top fin products but I have a question about your filter.

Can you post some details [Rated tank size/GPH] about it because the only model I am aware of that is called the '3000' is an air pump. Is it possible it is a different brand [Whisper/Tetra etc..] as many of those look similar.

Just a heads up also that the general minimally accepted standard is to have a filter rated for twice your tanks volume. This is because they often determine the stated rating by testing with no media and obviously this does not improve as the media clogs.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ldoerr
    Some other easy to grow plants that do good on stock lighting are Cabomba, and water wisteria. The cabomba grows supper fast and looks really great.
    I like the way both of those look. I do want something that grows fast, so cabomba might be great addition!

Beware of the Bleeding Heart Tetras, they have been known to nip the fins of other passive fish like the Dwarf Rainbow fish you have planned.
    It may work out ok but just saying, I had some Bleeding hearts once and they ended up being bullies in a community tank.
    Also when your ready to start introducing fish to your tank, dont over do it all at once. Get a few at a time. Like a school of one type first, wait a week or so and then a school of another, etc. This way the bacteria can grow and keep up with your stocking. This is also the time to monitor your water parameters. Every second day is what I did. This way as your nitrates go up you can get that water change done before your new buddies are stressed out.

Very nice looking tank kattiq.
    Good to know about the Tetras. I'm pretty sure my LFS has a 14 day return policy on fish so maybe I should try to get a few of the tetras and a few of something else and see how that works out? Would that be okay to do or is there another idea?
    I was planning on adding a few at a time as I had read somewhere you can't overload your tank all at once. Thanks for that tip. :)
    So do I need to do a water change every time I add in new fish? I know I'll need to do at least a 20% each week right? Water changes is something I have yet to research extensively.

This could be WAY off as I am not especially familiar with top fin products but I have a question about your filter.

Can you post some details [Rated tank size/GPH] about it because the only model I am aware of that is called the '3000' is an [Only Registered Users Can See Links.Click Here to Register]]. Is it possible it is a different brand as many of those look similar.

Just a heads up also that the general minimally accepted standard is to have a filter rated for twice your tanks volume. This is because they often determine the stated rating by testing with no media and obviously this does not improve as the media clogs.
    Okay, my bad it's actually a Top Fin 30-- I did have a Top Fin 3000 air pump, I must have gotten the numbers confused.
    Rated Tank Size: up to 30g
    GPH: 150
    So I guess I need a new filter?
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    "So do I need to do a water change every time I add in new fish? I know I'll need to do at least a 20% each week right? Water changes is something I have yet to research extensively".

You do not have to do a water change very time you add new fish kattiq.

What I meant was that when you add new stock it adds more waste and your BB might need some time to catch up so checking your water parameters every other day will let you know if you need to do a water change because a reading is going up.

And doing a 20% water change weekly is the best preventative maintenance program one can do for their fish! Great strategy.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.