· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Air Pump

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your a quick learner - Strider199   You are off to a good start. - Fishin Phil   A girlfrienf for Lewis, lol - Slaphppy7   

Default Best Air Pump

0 Not allowed!
    So I bought a bubble wall to go in my new 29 gallon aquarium and I also got the Top Fin 3000 air pump to go along with it. The only problem is it is SUPER loud! I tried placing it on cloth and various other things to try and lower the vibration noise but nothing really seemed to work.

I just bought a Rena 200 because I have read some pretty decent reviews on it being a lot more quieter. I really hope it is because the aquarium is in my room!
    However, I do know you should place the pump above water level and I have my stand no where near another bookshelf or anything to place the pump up there.

Do you guys recommend any other types of air pumps and what sort of advice could you give me to make my future air pump work better?

Thank you for any help!

P.S. My filter sort of vibrates a little too but I'm not really sure how to fix that..It's also of the Top Fin Brand

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep. - Strider199   yes you win a bunny one bad thing tho, you might get many more :P - genocidex   thx for the rep - Kayfish   For your fish 911, - Cliff   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - bignellm   

Wink Fusion 700

0 Not allowed!
    Does the pump have rubber feet to absorb the vibrations?

Best pump I've bought is the Fusion Series.

Google'd Fusion Air Pump

These pumps are the quietest and most reliable I've come across. Also, one of the more affordable ones. The one I'm currently running is the 700, which has a dial and two air line outlets. My opinion on it, perfect.

Advice on getting one to work better? I would buy larger than you actually need. That way pump doesn't have to work all that hard and you can dial it down.

On the filter rattling? I would apply/glue a small piece of rubber onto the part that is rattling against the glass.

Last edited by bignellm; 02-02-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your a quick learner - Strider199   You are off to a good start. - Fishin Phil   A girlfrienf for Lewis, lol - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bignellm
    Does the pump have rubber feet to absorb the vibrations?

Best pump I've bought is the Fusion Series.

Google'd Fusion Air Pump

These pumps are the quietest and most reliable I've come across. Also, one of the more affordable ones. The one I'm currently running is the 700, which has a dial and two air line outlets. My opinion on it, perfect.

Advice on getting one to work better? I would buy larger than you actually need. That way pump doesn't have to work all that hard and you can dial it down.

On the filter rattling? I would apply/glue a small piece of rubber onto the part that is rattling against the glass.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images...ish-supply.jpg
    The pump did have rubber feet on it.
    I was looking at the Fusion ones but I was deterred away because of how cheap they were, compared to all the others! I wasn't sure how long it would last and if it really did well.
    How big is the tank that you have the 700 on? I think I made the mistake of buying one that was for 20-30 when I only have a 29 gal tank. I bought it off an ebay aquarium seller but looks like I can return it if I leave it unopened.

Thanks for the advice! I think I might go for the Fusion now that I've heard it works relatively well for you. Did you need to get a check valve with yours also even though it has a dial?

And I will see which part of the filter is rattling, I would have never guessed it was against the glass!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep. - Strider199   yes you win a bunny one bad thing tho, you might get many more :P - genocidex   thx for the rep - Kayfish   For your fish 911, - Cliff   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - bignellm   

Default Tank size

0 Not allowed!
    Well, its only running two devices, two bubble walls on two different tanks. I have it dialed down to 1/4 power and it turns the water at the top of tank into a soda fountain otherwise.

My two tanks that are set up are a 10 and 16 gallon, but I am perfectly confident it will handle two Bubble walls that I am merging the two tanks into, my 55 gallon. When I first bought one, it was the smallest possible, b/c of price. 6 months ago, I moved up to the largest, bc of the dial and two outlets. Haven't heard a peep from any of the pumps and have a flowing unending veil of bubbles in both tanks. I don't actually have a flow check valve on the system, but do have a shut off valve on the 10, to slow the flow even further.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts!!  Happy New Year! :) - Ellen4God   Thanks for the heads up on tank size - Intentional or not  :-P - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    Penn Plax AirPod is a way to go. They are pretty efficient on doing the work and i don't usually hear them. I just hear them when it's super quiet in my room.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys! I'm hoping to get my new air pump soon and I HOPE it doesn't make a lot of noise. I'm starting up my fishless cycle today and I would really like to get the bubbles up and working soon. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts!!  Happy New Year! :) - Ellen4God   Thanks for the heads up on tank size - Intentional or not  :-P - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    If you have a filter that agitates the water, why do you still need an air pump? unless you're gonna connect a sponge filter on it, i think it's unnecessary to have it while cycling without fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pjaldave
    If you have a filter that agitates the water, why do you still need an air pump? unless you're gonna connect a sponge filter on it, i think it's unnecessary to have it while cycling without fish.
    Bacteria loves oxygen and heat. It also hurts nothing if a person wants to add it. I have two planted tank and use air pumps and air stones simply because my fish like it. It does cause more evaporation with open top tanks but as long as my fish like it who cares.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Right LH! I forgot about the heat... Dumb me.. More heat less oxygen... and yes, need more bubblers. lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I think I read somewhere that if you have a bubble wall or some sort of extra oxygen it helps get the bacteria going.

I will say that as of today I received my Rena air pump and it works like a dream! It's rather quiet for me and it doesn't have an annoying rattling sound! I like a little background noise when I sleep anyways so it works well.

Now I just need to get my heater to go up to the heat I want it too! It's at 76 right now but I'd like 82.

Thanks everyone for your replies!