· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was trying to avoid putting too deep of a substrate with the playsand because it's terrible about compacting and creating anaerobic gas pockets.... but I really think I'm going to have to redo the dang tank because I just don't think the substrate is going to work, not if it's going to be as heavily planted as I am planning....

I think it's going to be a LONG weekend!
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

0 Not allowed!
    Try not to think about how much work it's going to be... Think about how absolutely BEAUTIFUL your tank will be after it's done

I do like your tank. It has a unique shape but I thought it would be bigger.
    Hey... another good thing to think about.... It could be more work if it was as big as you thought it was

Looking forward to the pics
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm actually looking forward to getting the black flourite sand in and switching away from the light stuff. My fish are EXTREMELY unhappy with the bright lighting and light substrate.. . I think they'll really color up nicely with a dark substrate.

I'm going to order from Drs. Foster Smith... a bit cheaper, free shipping, and since they're in WI, it only take a day for stuff to get delivered!
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

0 Not allowed!
    wooohooo!!!! That means you can get started right away.

I agree, your fish will be much happier with darker substrate. Makes them feel more comfortable.

I'm SO looking forward to your tank transformation!
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm a bit concerned in reading reports that the sand is a bit sharp for corydoras. Anyone have any personal experience?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My cories were fine with black flourite sand. Those wild-type bettas are SO CUTE!! I want some!
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Got the Flourite sand in, and it feels quite nice! Going to be occupied with a mbuna delivery today, but hopefully I will be able to get the substrate switch accomplished soon!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I saw a tank like this at the store today. It was called a perfecto 31g hex flat back. That might help you track down a top for it.

Very cute tank. It was a 119.00 close out, tank, stand, hood, and light.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Finally got the sand in and plants replanted. Added some new plants, moved some others to different tanks.

I also raised the light tonight and am very happy with the results. The tank is no longer shockingly bright and the fish definitely seem to appreciate the change.

I did also add an Eheim prefilter. I like it... but it's HUGE. I managed to block it from view with a piece of driftwood.

I did lose a Checker Barb in the transfer.. somehow he actually swam up into the CO2 bubble ladder and must've inhaled quite a bit of CO2. Poor guy. :( The bubble ladder will be replaced with a modified Duetto filter for CO2 diffusion. Just waiting on some silicone to set.

I'm down to four barbs, the Albi pair, three panda cories, and four leucomelas cories. I plan on upping my cory schools to six each (though if I can't find leucomelas locally I will likely just go with pandas), adding a couple more barbs, and perhaps a small school of porkchop rasboras if the tank can support them. I'll be doing 50% weekly changes regardless, because in high tech tanks with CO2 injection and ferts, 50% weekly changes are recommended.

Anyway, enough blabbing. Here's an updated pic.

Before:

After:

(I really wish Eheim didn't use such a bright green on their spraybar/intake... but hopefully the plants grow up to cover it).

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ooh, I like it! What are porkchop rasporas?
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae