· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    *sigh*

In my quest to up the numbers of one of my Boraras species... I actually ended up with a THIRD Boraras species. :(

I had one B. merah: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile...s=merah&id=948

And three B. maculatus: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile...culatus&id=947

The merah was my favorite, so I searched high and low for more, and managed to find them on aquabid. Unfortunately, when they arrived I realized they were NOT merah.

Instead, they are B. naevus: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile...naevus&id=1309

naevus is the least colorful of the three so I'm a bit disappointed. I love the merah... but can't find them online, and they dwarf rasboras at my LFS go for $7.99 per fish... and you can't really tell whether you're getting merah or maculatus because they're so pale in the store.

So... I guess I'm stuck with three Boraras species when I only wanted one!
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nikelodeon79
    naevus is the least colorful of the three so I'm a bit disappointed. I love the merah... but can't find them online, and they dwarf rasboras at my LFS go for $7.99 per fish... and you can't really tell whether you're getting merah or maculatus because they're so pale in the store.
    http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm has merah and maculatus. The merah 6/$12 or 12/$22. I've gotten some from him before. The maculatus I've gotten twice from him, just can't beat the price 25/$26. Shipping was reasonable too.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by korith
    http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm has merah and maculatus. The merah 6/$12 or 12/$22. I've gotten some from him before. The maculatus I've gotten twice from him, just can't beat the price 25/$26. Shipping was reasonable too.
    Fantastic! Thank you!

I think I'll wait until May when Priority shipping is an option. I just can't afford $35 for express. The naevus were shipped Priority and were in great condition when they arrived.

BTW, the seller of the naevus was super nice about the whole thing. He offered a refund but since I got them at such a great price, and since he honestly didn't realize they weren't merah (he purchased them as merah), I told him I was happy without a refund.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This tank has been a bit neglected (got a new job and I'm working insane hours). Most of the plants died, but the tank looks surprisingly okay with a "minimalistic" style.

Still trying to determine what direction to go with this tank. I have no idea how many fish I have left. I have most of the CPDs and a few microrasboras, but only one poor lonely habrosus cory (LFS hasn't gotten any more in stock). I'm considering moving all the fish to my 26g but worry about overstocking and also that my male Betta albi will make the micro fish his lunch.

More likely I'll replant and restock. I'm thinking of getting a pressurized CO2 setup for this tank... possibly one of the easy idiot proof systems with the ridiculously expensive refill cartridges.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I guess I've decided to restock. My LFS had habbies I'm so I bought all they had (7). Now trying to decide whether I should try for some more merah and CPDs or go with a species of killies... The big issue is the tank is rimless and I worry about them jumping.

I picked up some excel to give that a try before going with pressurized COme, but I'm nervous about it now with the Corydoras. I have read they do not do well with excel. Thoughts?

0 Not allowed!
    I have never used excel in my tanks with corys just because of that same concern, so I have no first hand experience.

There was a member here that had problems with corys when using excel and lost a few if I remember correctly. I think it was Lady Hobbs, but I could be mistaken.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I may avoid it for that reason. Deborah Claro from the other aquarium was the one who told me about issues with cories and excel.

This tank just got some emergency additions. I added some neons to my 26 (after a 2 week quarantine) and every fish in the tank started chasing/nipping them. Even the Rasboras! I quickly fished them out and put them in the 20. The CPDs started chasing them! I'll have to monitor things. I can't figure out why everyone wants to kill the neons!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I swear this tank is IMPOSSIBLE to get pics of. :( the light is so bright and the tank is so dark... it ends up turning into a murky mess. (I need a new camera... and/or a new photographer!)

My son "helping" with tank maintenance (he just has a bit of airline tubing he's dipping in the tank):

Tonight I discovered a tank inhabitant I wasn't aware of. I put a bristlenose pleco in there several months ago to grow her out for my mbuna tank. I hadn't seen her in quite some time, but tonight she came out and ate some of the corydoras' shrimp pellet. I had wondered how the tank was staying so remarkably algae free.

She will not be going in the mbuna tank, by the way. Those buggers are vicious and would tear her apart in seconds.