· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default 20g Long - Nano Fish

0 Not allowed!
    This tank was actually set up in a hurry because I hadn't planned on getting fish quite yet, but my LFS surprisingly had what I wanted for stock so I grabbed them up.

Materials/Supplies I had:
    Duetto50 filters x2: ~$30 (Drs. Foster & Smith)
    20g long tank and top/light: $15 (Craigslist find)
    Driftwood: ~$20 (Petco and World of Fish - Minneapolis)
    Stealth 50w heater: $10 (Drs. Foster & Smith)
    Playsand: $3.99 for a 50lb bag, I didn't use anywhere NEAR that much (Menards)
    Digital Thermometer: $6 (Drs. Foster & Smith)

Materials I purchased:
    Plants: $20 (Planted Aquariums Central and PT swap n shop)

I may also end up investing in a better light and a glass top.

Since I bought the fish before setting up the tank, I had to quickly clean the tank (it had cichlid sand in it from when I used it as a fry tank, and unfortunately my cats had decided it was a LITTERBOX). After doing that, I put in a thin layer of sand (thankfully I had some prewashed), filled the tank, put some driftwood in, and seeded the Duettos with a generous amount of filter gunk from my established tanks. I then drip acclimated and added the fish: 5 Corydoras habrosus, 4 Celestial Pearl Danios and 3 Dwarf spotted rasboras (Boraras maculatus). Because they would be stressed with no plants, I added a couple from my existing tank, including a bunch of bacopa monneri that I just threw in there and didn't bother to plant.

Pics of the various driftwood:

An angle shot of the tank (it sits below my 75g Mbuna Tank):

I'm currently waiting for plants to come in and watching a few light fixtures on ebay. :) I plan on adding more rasboras and corydoras.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Apollo, my Rottweiler, "helping:"

He adores fish!
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great pics of your rot, LOL. My brittany loves watch his fish too.
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh I love Brittanys!

I bet all your tanks have noseprints like mine do. LOL!

0 Not allowed!

hmm you mentioned the heater. may want to make sure its not part of the stealth heaters that were recalled. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11202.html

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nikelodeon79
    Oh I love Brittanys!

I bet all your tanks have noseprints like mine do. LOL!

We are currently having remedial training sessions about muddy paw prints on the aquarium.
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love your tank. The piece of DW in the middle is BEAUTIFUL!!! Really cool tank for something that you just threw together.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by korith

hmm you mentioned the heater. may want to make sure its not part of the stealth heaters that were recalled. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11202.html
    Well, dang. For some reason, I thought the only Stealth's that had been recalled were the relatively new ones... turns out I was wrong. After hearing that my friend's Stealth malfunctioned and fried a few of her fish :( I checked online and saw that every single one of my Stealths has been recalled.

I wonder what Marineland will say to me requesting a refund on like 14 heaters??

Luckily, the heater in my Albi tank is actually a cheapo glass off brand, so that tank is good. I cranked the heat up downstairs since those heaters are all Stealths and all of my spares are Stealths. Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by ldoerr
    I love your tank. The piece of DW in the middle is BEAUTIFUL!!! Really cool tank for something that you just threw together.
    Thanks! I love that piece of driftwood.. I think I might've done a little dance and hugged it when I found it in the store. :) There's a fantastic aquarium store about three hours away that always has the coolest driftwood at really good prices. They have fantastic plants and really awesome and rare fish, too!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by korith
    I'm amazed that Foster & Smith are still selling the Stealths. I think I'd them a call and see if they won't replace the heater. After all. Fosters & Smith are selling defective heaters.

The tank is off to a great start!
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus
    I'm amazed that Foster & Smith are still selling the Stealths. I think I'd them a call and see if they won't replace the heater. After all. Fosters & Smith are selling defective heaters.

The tank is off to a great start!
    I got it awhile ago... probably something like 2-3 years? They aren't still selling them.

I've heard that other people got emails from Drs. warning them about the recall... I didn't get anything, though. Odd!