· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Plants with Goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Hello! I have tried 3 times now to make some Java Moss grow on my driftwood, but every time my goldfish Petri rips it off and eats it all.

Has anybody here had any luck with growing plants with goldfish that always think its some kind of special treat just for them? I want to try some Java Fern or something like that when i get my new tank, but it seems to be harder than it sounds.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    You've hit on why people don't keep aquatic plants with goldfish; they eat them. No point in using plants in its tank. But, as you've seen, plant matter is part of the goldfish diet, so you might try leafy vegetables, rubber-banded to a rock, with it. Fresh leaf spinach is ideal, just rinse under the tap before use.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    I've heard that anubias is too tough to eat and java fern doesn't taste good. Haven't tried it myself. Any plants that go in my goldfish tank are meant to be eaten.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    I have heard the above about java fern as well.. Alternatively, you could get something that is super fast-growing, so your goldie can't keep up with it.. Duckweed comes to mind :)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hm. Well then i guess ill try it out with some Java Fern and anubias when i do get my new tank, and if he eats it i will finally give up. :) I should give him more peas for that ravenous veggie craze!
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Anubias is the only one I've heard works with them. But then my mystery snails are munching a tiny bit on them. They say though that they are too tough to eat for goldfish.
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater
    10 gal empty ~ someday Betta
    4 cats, 1 dog and 2 kids. (2yr-4yrs) Potty Training and one on the way

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have Swords, Java fern and Anubias in with my goldies
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My goldie is a bit weird. I have anubias, java fern, cabomba, swords, and elodia in his tank, and he has yet to eat any of it. He does keep digging up the swords, though.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have Anubias bacteri and Microsorium pteroptus with fantails and common goldfish. They don't touch them other than using them for cover on occassion. They are beautiful plants that do well in cool water aquariums. Give them a try. :)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I also have Anubias, Crypts, and Swords with my goldfish. They really don't munch on these. Occasionally I will have a floater due to the bumping them around. I also keep larger Nerite (small horned ones too) snails for cleanup. Lots of driftwood and hiding spaces. I've tried smaller and more delicate plants and they mow them down. Anything with a thick tough leaf should do very well. I learned from keeping African cichlids that delicate plants never fare well either due to muching or water parameters.