· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your kind comments on my photos - Mbuna   An Old Marine needs more gifts - ScottishFish   Beer always taste better with family. Cheers Devil Dog. - Gogi   Thanks for helping me with the reps for a Gold star! - Cermet   Have one for your tank aswell!! Glad you liked mines!! - ScottishFish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Old Marine   

Default Question on water changes?

0 Not allowed!
    When you do a water change, do you add the water back straight in the tank and add the conditioner as you fill it, or do you use buckets and add the conditioner, let them sit a while and then put it in the Aquarium? I will be doing first water change in a week or two on a newly cycled tank. I do not want to mess up all the hard work that i have put in to establish a good bacteria bed and proper temperature for my new mbunas when i buy them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   cheers - Northernguy   This should help to clean up the coffee - Thanks for the rep as well - Cliff   A morning like this requires HOT Coffee! - 850R   thanks for the rep! - sheamurai   
    Autism - Fishin Phil   

0 Not allowed!
    I use Prime and add the conditioner directly to the tank, then add the freshwater immediately.
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You like neon tetra's so here one for your page. - gadget228   Merry Christmas - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    I use Tetra Aquasafe. I fill up the needed volume of tap water in a bucket, then I add the required amount of Aquasafe to the bucket. I then give it a quick stir - it works extremely rapidly. I then use a smaller jug to gently transfer the dechlorinated water between the bucket and the tank so there is minimal disturbance to the fish.

I hope this doesn't confuse you as the previous poster had a different method. I think people all have their preferred way of doing it, and you'll also work out what feels best to you once you've done it a few times.

I just add the dechlorinator before adding the water to the tank because I felt most confident doing it that way, and didn't want any chance of any chlorine or chloramine getting near my fish! (Might be a bit paranoid of me though...lol!)
    - 40 liter (10 gallon): black gravel, mopani wood, thin leaved java fern, java moss, and six very happy neon tetras
    - 5.7 gallon (21.7 litre) glass hex: currently empty and to be repaired (probably will become a hospital tank)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    I put enough in the tank for the whole volume of the tank and then refill.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I also add enough Prime for the entire tank (1 capful) and then add fresh water - it mixes instantly as you pour in the new water so no fear of fish being exposed to chlorine.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    When I use the python to fill the tank, I add Prime as the tank is filling - dose for full tank. For smaller tanks where I use a bucket, I treat the bucket, then fill tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    I fill buckets, treat, then let sit for 5-10 mins. I do this twice a week on my 190g. it's a PITA, but I have a small army of buckets that I use. it's the only way I will do it until I have a R/O system and an autochanger. I'm a little paranoid of my stock.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some fishies with your ribbons - Lady Hobbs   coreys need company - Lady Hobbs   Celebrating my first batch of bred shrimp! - kurly   Because I love my Bolivian Rams :D - kurly   So my first Bolivian won't get lonely - kurly   
    Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - kurly   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - kurly   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - kurly   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - kurly   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - kurly   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD
    When I use the python to fill the tank, I add Prime as the tank is filling - dose for full tank. For smaller tanks where I use a bucket, I treat the bucket, then fill tank.
    I do it the exact same way in both scenarios.
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Well according to ur profile you have a 75 gallon tank so i would suggest buying a python or as some others a small army of buckets. lol The python is one of the best purchases i have made for my aquarium maintainence. Cuts my water changes to less than half the bucket method time.

Like most people have stated i use a python and add the dechlorinator directly to my tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your kind comments on my photos - Mbuna   An Old Marine needs more gifts - ScottishFish   Beer always taste better with family. Cheers Devil Dog. - Gogi   Thanks for helping me with the reps for a Gold star! - Cermet   Have one for your tank aswell!! Glad you liked mines!! - ScottishFish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Old Marine   

0 Not allowed!
    Python it is, and then adding conditioner for 75 gallons at once, then i refill from the faucet. Thank You all for the valuable information.