· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scooter blenny

1. Default scooter blenny

0 Not allowed!
    hey guys,

so today i went to the LFS to return a tank that i didnt use and they gave me a store credit, i saw a scooter blenny, i asked the lady if they eat algae, she said yes they will eat algae. that being said i took him home, in the process of acclimation i researched what they are , and found out that they are dragonets. that being said , did i mess up ? i took the rock that had so many copepods in my nano and placed it in my 55G and since he east from the ground i dumped him into the DT- with a 50/50 chance of survival.

my question is should i go buy a copepods culture and pour it into the tank??

right now ive watched him for about 30 mins and he's picking off things of the rock and the floor. so he is eating something :)
    10G Algae tank-The Nano was moved to the 55G
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

0 Not allowed!
    Not real sure if he'll be ok with-out the pods, you should wait for somebody else to chime in on that matter.

Just something to point out though, try to stay away from impulse purchases with SW fish since you can kind of screw yourself with them if you get them, take them home and then do the research to find out they're a picky eater or won't get along with one of your tank-mates... just as a rule of thumb try and research a specific fish and then go buy that, try not to buy the fish and then research it while it's acclimating

Granted that piece of advice sounds great but we all fall victim to the impulse buy of a cool fish every now and then lol so don't worry about it man, hopefully somebody else can chime in and give you some info on the little guy
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes i know impulse buying is not a good idea , he is a cool looking fish though, i normally have my iphone with me so i can do a little research at the store. however this time my phone had died for lack of charging last night. :)
    10G Algae tank-The Nano was moved to the 55G
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They can be weaned onto frozen mysis shrimp. Use a turkey baster to squirt some in front of him, then, if he ignores it, use a squirt from the baster to move the food a bit. I wouldn't buy the culture unless his stomach was caved in. They are very nice fish when they start eating frozen food, very active and bold.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    All the reading and anecdotal evidence I have absorbed tells me they are in no way an algae eater and are in the same class of copepods eaters as mandarins. Damn Lfs's will tell all sorts of lies to sell a fish,I would return it.

0 Not allowed!
    I second the LFS lies lol but regardless no worries about the impulse buy and dead phone haha happens to the best of us... *cough cough* me lol *cough cough*
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishkeeper
    They can be weaned onto frozen mysis shrimp. Use a turkey baster to squirt some in front of him, then, if he ignores it, use a squirt from the baster to move the food a bit. I wouldn't buy the culture unless his stomach was caved in. They are very nice fish when they start eating frozen food, very active and bold.
    I have just got to ask this,sorry if it seems argumentative. Have you personally weened this species onto frozen foods? Waiting for a fish to show such drastic hunger signs is a sure way to a dead fish.
    Last edited by smaug; 01-25-2012 at 12:53 AM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I have. Actually, their stomach is normally flat, so if it's somewhat concave that means the same as slightly underweight does in other fish. Your choice of course! And yes, in most other fish a caved stomach is bad.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    I once researched this fish when I was considering adding one to one of my reef tanks. From what I have read, you need to keep pods in their diet or they may suffer (long term) from a improper diet.

Just because you can get them to eat frozen foods doesn't mean that you should have him eating that all the time. It's no different than people. We could eat nothing but deep fried fast food 3 times a day everyday, but that would effect our long-term health.

I would suggest supplementing his diet with pods
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishkeeper
    Yes, I have. Actually, their stomach is normally flat, so if it's somewhat concave that means the same as slightly underweight does in other fish. Your choice of course! And yes, in most other fish a caved stomach is bad.
    How long have you had your scooter blenny?