· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Very poorly reed fish- please help!!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all, my tank had been running fine with no health problems. Two days ago i bought two apple snails and a small syno, the reed fish looked fine that morning but did not come out to eat that evening. Yesterday i did not see him again, which isnt too unusual as he hides all day in his tube. This morning he was out of his tube and the two apple snails were in there, he was lying lifeless under a rock, his head is covered in what looks like fungus! His mouth and gills are very red ( looks like blood ), and his eyes are even covered in white fungus. I disturbed him to see how bad it was and he seems to have a problem with his swim bladder, his head is on the gravel but his tail is rising up to the surface. he is having trouble breathing.

I have treated the tank for fungus infection and added aqualibrium salt for the bladder problem.

Can anybody add any light to the situation please as he really doesnt look like he's going to last much longer.
    Cichlids are soooooooo confusing.......

My tanks:
    40 g tropical African themed tank
    2 reed fish (mathias & luna-c), pair of kribs(rob&becky), 8 congo tetras, 2 butterflys, 1 syno (dave)

10 g coldwater
    'Bonzer' the goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    If it is that bad he probably won't make it. Watch adding salt and medications--snails don't like them at all!

You introduced a very bad fungal infection to the tank. Watch your other fish very closely.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Excellent supporter! Great posts! - Rue   good poster/nice guy - Lady Hobbs   thanks for all the help here - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for the research! - Nick_Pavlovski   Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - RobbieG   

0 Not allowed!
    The snails may have slimed him in the tube - try to clean him off if you can
    Go ahead - try to count my Bumblebee Gobies!

72 Gallon Bowfront
    Angel, Sharks, Tetras, Fire Eel
    30 Gallon
    African Butterfly, Violet Goby, Tetras, Danios
    30 Gallon
    Clown Loaches, Neons, BumbleBee Gobies, Tetras
    10 Gallon
    Baby Platies

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    oh dear, looks like ive lost the snails now, shame the fish store didnt tell me to be careful when they sold me the salt, as they are the same store that sold me the snails!!

Just went to remove the reed fish because he looked dead but he made a last attempt to swim, its really horrible to watch.

The store told me that the snails couldnt have carried the infection because they are invertebrates, is this true? and the small syno isnt having any problems, as well as all other tankmates so im confused as to why this one fish has got it so bad and so quickly that i havent had a chance to cure it.

Also is it not strange that he got this fungus around his eyes and mouth and a swim bladder problem at the same time or do they often work hand in hand.
    Cichlids are soooooooo confusing.......

My tanks:
    40 g tropical African themed tank
    2 reed fish (mathias & luna-c), pair of kribs(rob&becky), 8 congo tetras, 2 butterflys, 1 syno (dave)

10 g coldwater
    'Bonzer' the goldfish