· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Fromia monilis diet?

0 Not allowed!
    I've recently been given a Marble Sea star by a friend who didn't realize that my tank was too young for it. Is there anything I can put in the tank for it to supplement its feeding that anyone knows of?
    كل نفس ذائقة الموت ثم الينا ترجعون

0 Not allowed!
    Macro algae. If there is an Asian grocery store nearby, purchase a sheet of nori. Tear it into strips, and place one every evening rubber-banded to a rock near where the star hangs out. If it's still up on the glass, use an aquarium safe magnetic clip for the nori.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I already have several sheets of nori and a seaweed clip! Thank you very much, Dave.

I honestly can't imagine how much worse my tank would be if I hadn't come to this forum. You guys are all so great.
    Last edited by Ashurbarnipal; 02-01-2012 at 09:41 PM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was looking into one a few months ago. All the info I saw claimed they are omnivores and look for there food in the sandbed. Food items sich as small meaty items like shrimp and other marine based proteims were advised.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He's currently near the top of the tank, one arm actually groping at the surface water. Put a clip of nori next to him.

Wanna try that algae trick you PM'd me Dave, but does it have to be a special rock or could I just get some normal rock and boil it in some water for a few hours to clear it of bacteria and chemicals?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would be interested to hear about daves ideas on this inmore depth as well. Why not post it for all to benefit dave ole boy?! Just for curiosity sake op,what info for feeding these stars popped up on a google search? Have you tried simple staple pellets? My marbled serpant goes nut for them.
    Last edited by smaug; 02-02-2012 at 05:11 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    It's simple. Container of sea water, rock (dry base rock perfect), and a sunny spot. In a week or ten days thick, lush green algae on the rocks. You can also use river cobbles; rough them up with sand paper so the algae can stick to them. Then just rinse thoroughly before use.

Been doing this for decades, since I keep a lot of herbivores in both FW and Marine.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! You're an awesome help, Dave. I'll see if I can't find an appropriate stone and start tomorrow. I'm sure my crabs and shrimps will also appreciate it.

Hasn't really moved towards the Nori yet. It's actually just been pretty directly in the top right corner for the last 24 hours though.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh it just fell down completely to the bottom. Is that normal?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's still not moved. I flipped it over on its back to see if the foot tubes were moving, but they were sealed shut and haven't done much except the few parts where it was slightly open sealed shut, too.

--edit-- nevermind, it started slowly moving one hand up.

Also, I was thinking of putting a tiny bit of shrimp (like less than a quarter of an inch maybe) I got from the grocery store in the tank right around where the star is tonight. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Ashurbarnipal; 02-03-2012 at 12:25 AM.