· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default What it the dosage of FLOURISH EXCEL of my tank?

0 Not allowed!
    HI EVERYBODY,
    I am confused now,i don't know what the dosage should i inject
    since there is so much moss in my fish tank,i don't know how to use excel.
    somebody say excel may damage the most of moss and smaller amount of excel should be injected.However, no one tell me what dosage should i inject.
    can some body tell me?
    btw,the capacity of my tank is about 110L.Beside,i use it for projecting my water plant from algae .
    Last edited by Kyer; 01-23-2012 at 10:25 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The first time you dose, put in 5ml for every 40 litres of tank water. Thereafter 5 ml for every 200 litres daily or alternate days as needed.

I am not aware of any possible damage from Excel to moss, but you can check further on the Seachem website.

0 Not allowed!
    Guestion......I think that first dose is after water changes, right. In other words, that's the dose every week after your water change and the smaller dose the rest of the time?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    it says 5ml for every 40L first use, or every MAJOR water change (40%). Then 5ml for every 200L every day or every other day.

the thing is, it depends on your plant requirements. if you feel like they need more CO2 because they grow faster, then dose a bit more. It says on the instructions.

and about moss and excel, why would CO2 damage any plant? that is misinformation you got from someone else.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pjaldave
    it says 5ml for every 40L first use, or every MAJOR water change (40%). Then 5ml for every 200L every day or every other day.

the thing is, it depends on your plant requirements. if you feel like they need more CO2 because they grow faster, then dose a bit more. It says on the instructions.

and about moss and excel, why would CO2 damage any plant? that is misinformation you got from someone else.
    I was mention that the active ingredient of EXCEL was a kind of sterilization in many years ago at hospital.
    it can kill some of the primary life form ,say algae and moss.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i do not know if it's true. but then, the only way it can kill algae is because that the plants in your tank will use CO2, thus using up the nutrients faster and out-competing the algae for the nutrients.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i do not know if it's true. but then, the only way it can kill algae is because that the plants in your tank will use CO2, thus using up the nutrients faster and out-competing the algae for the nutrients.
    ok,I will try it with normal dosage.I hope that you are true.

0 Not allowed!
    In other words, for those of us who do big water changes each week, we would use the starting dose every week. Never did quite get it since Excel is only supposed to work for 24 hours.

0 Not allowed!
    The starting dose is to jump start the biological breakdown into bio available carbon. It's a suggested dose, not a mandate. Under normal conditions, in your tank, glutaraldehyde solutions do break down inside 24 hours.

For those with vascular plants, such as Vals, start at half to quarter dose and work up over time. Your plants will adapt.

A deliberate over dose of glutaraldehyde will kill algae - and some fragile plants. Your mileage may vary as to what those fragile plants are.
    It can't be marketed as an herbicide unless someone were to do the testing, documentation, and registrations required by the EPA.

Glutaraldehyde in solution, along with an activator, is used to disinfect medical equipment that can't be heat sterilized. Endoscopes for instance.
    Like any chemical, in-correct use and not paying attention to the directions on the product package can cause some health issues. That led to a ban in several European countries in the late 1990s. There are also very concentrated solutions sold for microscopy work, that are dangerous.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Killing moss and algae is an off label use. It requires you to overdose the Excel. Seachem does not condone this method. The standard dosage should not be a problem, but if you're worried you can just follow the every other day dosage recommendation rather than doing it every day.

Excel is not CO2! It's designed to replace and/or supplement CO2 injections. It provides carbon to the water and plants, as does CO2. It is designed for plants though, so I'd assume that it's not going to hurt your plants, unless maybe you overdosed it.