· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Cracking Crossbar

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone,

I have a 55 gallon aquarium that has been setup and running for a while, after returning home this weekend i noticed the crossbar has started cracking and the tank is slightly bowed outwards at the top. I don't have anywhere to go with the fish.

Currently my plan to fix it is to drain the tank level down about halfway or more and then brace the top with two clamps and a board to hold the tank from bowing out while i superglue the plastic from back together and let it cure.

Does anyone have any feedback or suggestion on how to do it together.

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    That sounds like a good plan.Hopefully the glue will hold.Gorilla brand is aquarium safe.

Replacement plastic is available. Not sure where but I sure someone will post a link.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

0 Not allowed!
    You can get replacement frame pcs as below. Below is just one example of companies that sell them. They are not all that hard to replace if your repair doesn't work out.

http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=43
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I literally just the other day had that happen. In my case the tank was just a grow out tank so I got rid of it and put an unused 40 gallon long tank in its place. The replacement for the brace is your best option if you don't choose to just get a new tank.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, I actually had already stumbled onto this website. I didn't know if it would be a good idea to take the entire frame off while i still have water in it. I don't have any other tanks for the current inhabitants to go into. When I get around to it today I will take pictures and post results after it cures to let everyone know if the repair with water in it was successful. Otherwise i guess my blood parrot, Lt. Cornelius Huk, is going to have to slum in in my 10 gallon if i need to drain most all of the water out.

0 Not allowed!
    Brace it like you describe and see how it goes. I don't think superglue will hold for the long term but hopefully I'm wrong and all will be well.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Lightbulb Skip the super glue altogether and replace it.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by insectocean
    Thanks, I actually had already stumbled onto this website. I didn't know if it would be a good idea to take the entire frame off while i still have water in it. I don't have any other tanks for the current inhabitants to go into. When I get around to it today I will take pictures and post results after it cures to let everyone know if the repair with water in it was successful. Otherwise i guess my blood parrot, Lt. Cornelius Huk, is going to have to slum in in my 10 gallon if i need to drain most all of the water out.
    Do NOT remove the topframe with the water in it, DO go to walmart and buy a suitable sized rubbermaid tub that will hold about half of the tanks capacity safely. They are cheap & effective temp containers.

You need a fair sized tub as you cannot fill them even close to capacity with water.

Drain half you tank into your tub & add stock, Drain the majority of the rest of the water out of the tank.

How much you leave in the tank is up to you but remember the top brace IS a key structural component. I would only leave 15 or 20% personally though this amount is up to you.

Replace Brace and refill
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    glasscages.com carry the frames for a 55. I would order one and find a place for your fish for a couple days. Big tote with heater and airstone should do it. If your tank is planted, you should be able to drain water down very far.

0 Not allowed!
    This post also inspired me to write to Aqueon (former All Glass) and ask them why didn't they sell just the frames so we wouldn't have to send everyone to glasscages.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up getting some clamps and a 2 boards to go inbetween them and the tank to spread out the pressure evenly. I clamped the cracks most of the way shut and applied gorilla glue. We'll see if that seems to hold it otherwise i guess it will just have to stay clamped until i can fix it permanently.