· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Making a custom tree/rock background

0 Not allowed!
    Sup guys. I've seen many videos on YouTube and have seen the nice work done by Alasse. I am currently in the process of making a 3d background for my 65g tank. I am almost to the stage where I can apply the colored cement to it but I am having some trouble on finding a good sealer for the cement that is going to be fish safe. If anyone knows of any, please let me know. I have tried looking up the Crommelin Waterproof Pond Sealer that Alasse used but cant seem to find it anywhere in the US. I know of Pond Armor, but its really expensive. Could I use a regular grout sealer and just make sure it cures well?

I will be posting pictures of how my background is coming along shortly.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here are some pictures of the 3D background my mom and I have been working on the past 2 days (about 10 hours)

Tomorrow I will start the cement process and update you guys on how that is going. I plan on doing at least 3 coats of cement with each coat drying overnight then add at least 2 coats of grout sealer.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You can seal with Epoxy, it is expensive too though. My next background (which will be soon i hope) will be using West Systems Epoxy as a sealer

Love the foam work, cant wait to see the finished product!
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasse
    You can seal with Epoxy, it is expensive too though. My next background (which will be soon i hope) will be using West Systems Epoxy as a sealer

Love the foam work, cant wait to see the finished product!

I was actually looking into that West Systems Epoxy. Can you just put the 105 or do you have to put the 205,206 hardener with it? It this epoxy viscosity low enough to where you can just put it in a spray bottle and apply it on that way?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The West System may be a great choice if you are willing to pay the price for it. Alasse has sparked something in us to try a background of our own.

Researching on my own for a sealer for concrete that is safe for the aquarium and inhabitants is no easy task with the only remotely product being possibly,
    Krylon Fusion spray paint in clear of course!!!!

I stumbled upon this by googling nontoxic waterproof concrete sealer!
    I am curious as to using grout sealer for a sealer.....

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There is this epoxy too

Aquarium safe epoxy
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Now that is a good looking background I hope it turns out great for ya' . I'll be watching for your progress. Good luck.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sup guys. I just got finished putting my 2nd coat of cement on the background. I forgot to take pictures of the 1st coat fully dried so its a half and half picture. I hope the 2nd coat will be dry by tomorrow so I can add my 3rd coat and maybe some color details and such on it. Let me know what you guys think so far.

My first coat was really thin. I almost thought it was too thin because the cement would sometimes just run off because it was so watery. First coat took me a long time because I was really trying to get into every single crack and space to make sure it all was covered in cement. At some spots I just poured the cement into it to cover up spots. The styrofoam absorbed a lot of it, which is probably another reason why it took so long.
    The second coat was about 1/4 of the time to apply. This coat was a think coat that hardly ran at all. This coat was really to add the texture to the background . Since I had the primer coat on the bg already it applied a lot smoother then the first. Even though I still tried to get into every corner of the bg it wasn't as crucial because I had to first coat.
    The final cement coat that I plan on doing tomorrow will be another semi thin coat. Probably not as thin as I did the first one but not too thick to where it covers the textures that I did. This coat will be another brown coat on the tree and a charcoal on the rocks and add my final details with some reds and brown on the rocks and some darker browns and maybe some green vines on the tree while the cement is still wet to help blend it more.

First coat wet.

First coat dried

Second coat wet

Second coat wet
    Last edited by ronin07x; 01-25-2012 at 08:59 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looking good!
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome work! Great patience too.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html