· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When I moved the marineland bio-wheel 350 over to the 40 I did start adding ammonia. So when the ammonia reaches 0 I will move over the 8 cories from my 20 gallon. Thanks Brhino, I cant wait til everything comes to together. I am having some trouble figuring out how I am going to decorate the tank. Would love to hear some suggestions from you guys

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cories appreciate grazing off of large-ish plant leaves, like anubias. If you can find some nice driftwood that they can fit underneath, they will likely surprise you with fry, since it gives the fry places to hide from the hungry adults. Also, they appreciate darker water, so tannin stained water from driftwood would be good.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

0 Not allowed!
    Not to beat a dead horse, but I must agree that improper circulation and water quality is more hazardous to barbels than substrate. I have cories and loaches on flourite which is fractured clay. They all have very strong healthy barbels. It is probably one of the roughest subsrates for a bottom dweller...they root and dig to their hearts content in it without injury. Water is at its poorest on the floor of the tank, most of us gather our collection water for testing near the surface. Not to mention all the mulm and gunk down there. Sand is especially difficult to keep clean due to many types of it compacting.

With that said you may want to look into some of the Caribsea natural sand/gravels...they are pretty much just crushed quartz sand. Not very sharp IME and they are much cleaner than pool filter sand as they are somewhat of a larger grain and wont compact.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My 11 corries love to hang out under and around my driftwood. They also hang out at the base of my plants. They do not seem to like open spaces without cover. That has just been my experience with mine.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will be doing some low tech plants like anubias. Gotta a few pieces of driftwood in the tank now, but I would love to find a piece they could hide under. MCHRKiller, the Caribsea natural sand is a good idea but I already have play sand in the tank. My ammonia reading is about .75 so maybe in a couple of days I can transfer the cories over.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You may want to look into getting MTS snails to churn your substrate... playsand does have issues with compacting/anaerobic gas pockets. Alternatively, be sure to poke around and stir up the substrate from time to time... chopsticks work well for this purpose.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well today the ammonia and nitrites finally hit 0 and I did a large water change to lower the nitrates. So I moved my 4 spotted cories, 2 pandas, and the julii over to the 40. I plan on adding more to each species next week and buying a school of a fourth species. Either albino or skunk. I would post some pics but the tank looks so bare right now. I plan on ordering some low tech plants soon, but I will post some pics when everything comes together

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday I moved a few anubias plants and some others to the cory tank. Some of the plants have a small amount of algae on them, and i have been thinking about adding two otos. Is this a good idea or not? Also my cories have been digging around in the sand and they LOVE their new home!