· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just went to AqAdvisor to see what my stocking level would be for my 40 when I transferred my other cories in there and it came up 30%. It suggested that I could stock 36 cories without being overstocked. Although I am not going to do that many, it did get me excited about all those cories swimming around in their soon-to-be cory paradise!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There are a couple of different species that can be referred to as skunk cories... Corydoras arcuatus and Corydoras melini come to mind. I would guess the ones you have on order are arcuatus... in that case the adult size is around 5cm so they're on the smaller side. You definitely can fit quite a lot of them in your tank, and I think you're really going to love watching their behavior in a large tank.

Can I recommend a small schooling fish to occupy the top levels of your aquarium? I've found that cories tend to feel more secure with a peaceful fish overhead. I really like harlequin rasboras because they are awesome in larger schools, stay relatively small, but not so small that you never see them, and stick to the upper levels, even during feeding time (so they don't steal the cories' shrimp pellets).

I had a 55g corydora community (moderately planted and filtered with an Eheim 2215 canister) and had the following stock:
    15 harlequin rasbora
    10 C. panda
    10 C. leucomelas
    10 C. habrosus
    nerite snails
    A. helena (assassin snails)

The plan was to add 10 Corydoras loretoensis but sadly when I ordered them, most were DOA, so I only ended up with two.

It really was my favorite tank and I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turns out. I'm very seriously considering getting a tank with a 48" x 24" footprint (the size of my custom stand) and making that a dedicated cory tank.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was possibly thinking of adding some fish to occupy the top level. I'm pretty set on rasboras. Either a school of harlequin or galaxy rasboras. Does anyone have any experience with galaxy rasboras? Nickelodeon79 you should definetely do a cory tank!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Darn you Dylan! I was all set to go Rainbows & Yoyos in my 125g. Now you've got me thinking Rainbows & Corys.

Can't wait to see you herd of catfish!
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have panda cories and luv them! I also have Harlequin Rasboras and luv them too! So you don't have to guess what my vote is for your schooling fish... Harlequin Rasboras of course!
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fishin Phil, Rainbows and Cories would really be cool! But Rainbows and loaches would be cool as well. I saw some Zebra Loaches yesterday that kind of caught my eye but I don't have a tank sufficient for them. But anyway both ideas would be amazing and think of how many cories you would have!

kurly, Pandas are amazing and IMO they are the coolest of the cory family. I've always wanted Harlequins but the Galaxies are pretty cool too.

0 Not allowed!
    Galaxy rasboras really don't school.. or occupy top levels (at least not in my tank), unless you have lots of floating plants.

I would, however, recomend emerald eye rasboras if you can get them.. They are the only fish I have ever had that persistantly swim aroung in the to 1/3 of the tank, and school together pretty tightly at all times.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My vote is for the Harlequin Rasbora. My school constantly schools in the top of the tank. Very peaceful fish that is AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    how many harlequins could I do?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    just got my 200 watt heater shipped in today! I originally was going to buy a stand yesterday butwill have to likely wait til monday. Might have everything running Monday evening! Ready to get that cycle started lol, I will update with pictures as soon as I set everything up

btw, does anyone know where I cold purchase silica sand?