· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on your 40 Dylan.

nikelodeon79:

The pictured cory looks like it's suffering from fin rot [OR nipping but since I know nothing of the other stock...] but I would suspect water parameters before be blaming the substrate on that... Know what I mean?

IME, Corys do just fine in gravel, PFS, or whatever. I have them on/in all three [Including TMS] and they all have massive healthy barbels.

Just saying that it is certainly not carved in stone that any particular substrate is verboten for corys.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    nikelodeon79:

The pictured cory looks like it's suffering from fin rot [OR nipping but since I know nothing of the other stock...] but I would suspect water parameters before be blaming the substrate on that... Know what I mean?
    I suspected that as well, which is why I kept testing the water, but everything kept coming up perfect (zero ammonia and nitrites, nitrates under 20). This was in a very lightly stocked 55g, moderately planted. The tank was set up with corydoras in mind and the only other stock were a large-ish school of harlequin rasboras.

I noticed barbel erosion (not bloody like the above two corydoras) in all of my other tanks with TMBS, too. I started using the smooth grained sand and the problems disappeared: nothing else changed. I can only assume it was the sand...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you guys think I should go with the black diamond blasting sand or should I go a different direction?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wish I could find a picture of what the grains actually look like, but my initial gut reaction is that since blasting sands are made to be abrasive, they wouldn't exactly be ideal sand for corydoras. JMHO.

I also personally do not like black sand in aquariums at all, but that's just a personal preference. I switched all of my tanks over from black sand, even those without corydoras, because I felt that the tanks were too dark looking.

Note: these pictures were both taken with the same light and same camera settings.

With black sand:

With white sand:

Again, though, as far as aesthetics, it is your personal preference. As far as cory safety, my opinion is that there are better substrates out there than blasting sand.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well my number one concern is for my fishes health so i'll pass on the blasting sand and pick up some play sand or silica sand. I had no idea that blasting sand was made to be abrasive. Thanks for all you help nikelodeon79!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylanfsh21
    Well my number one concern is for my fishes health so i'll pass on the blasting sand and pick up some play sand or silica sand. I had no idea that blasting sand was made to be abrasive. Thanks for all you help nikelodeon79!
    No probs. :) I actually stuck my hand in a little tiny display cube at Menards (a Home Depot-like store) to rub the blasting sand grains between my fingers... felt abrasive to me. (Of course, I almost got my hand stuck in the cube, which was most definitely NOT made to stick your hand in, LOL! The things we do for our fish!)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nikelodeon79
    No probs. :) I actually stuck my hand in a little tiny display cube at Menards (a Home Depot-like store) to rub the blasting sand grains between my fingers... felt abrasive to me. (Of course, I almost got my hand stuck in the cube, which was most definitely NOT made to stick your hand in, LOL! The things we do for our fish!)

LOL! Glad you were able to get it out!
    Would have been funny to hear.... "Manager please report to Aisle 3.... Man has hand stuck in Display Cube" blasted all over the store.
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I went to go get some play sand today and instead I ended up going to the pet store. Actually I went to two pet stores. At Petco I bought some driftwood and some rocks for my cory tank. Then I went to the other store and found out that I could special order fish!!! So I ordered some skunk cories that I'm so excited about! While I was there, I couldn't help but notice the Panda cories. They were a good price so I bought three to add to 20 long and later will transfer to the cory tank. So I let them acclimate for 25 minutes and released them. After I let them go I noticed a gash torn out of one of the cories head and his fins were torn. Sadly he didn't make it as I thought. I will be keeping my eyes on the other two. I will also be purchasing 3 or 5 more pandas later as the store only had three. Now for some good news, I will be buying my stand friday so the process can begin!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How exciting!!! Congrats on the new tank project Dylanfsh21!!
    I think you've made the right decision avoiding the blasting sand; I've read elsewhere that people have had abrasion issues with it also.
    (Although as previously said with the barbel probs being a combo of getting substrate and water quality right sometimes it's hard to tell on the forums.)
    Playing it safe is a really good bet and what I shall be doing also!

(Awesome pics btw Nickelodean79! Looks like a really cool tank to me both ways!)
    - 40 liter (10 gallon): black gravel, mopani wood, thin leaved java fern, java moss, and six very happy neon tetras
    - 5.7 gallon (21.7 litre) glass hex: currently empty and to be repaired (probably will become a hospital tank)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, there more I pondered one the blasting sand idea. I began to realize that it wasn't a very good idea from the start. Thats why I have you guys! lol Nickelodean79 really helped me out there. What are you guys thoughts on construction paper as a background? I am thinking about using black construction paper.