· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default 40 gallon Cory tank

0 Not allowed!
    Just bought a new 40 gallon breeder tank today at Petco! The dollar per gallon sale ended today so i decided to take advantage of the sale and grab a new tank. Recently I decided to setup a tank a dedicate it to cories, since they are so cool to watch and plus there my favorite fish. i had difficulty finding a stand for a 40 breeder but Petco has one for 60 bucks that i will be purchasing soon! this tank is going to be a long process but im excited about it and i will be sure to keep you guys up to date on my progress!

Awards Showcase

No Message - korith another pleco for your AC Tank - Northernguy Good job with your filter - Cliff No! You're banned for sending me a gift.. : ) - Little Embers Any more pleco's and your going to need a bigger tank. - gadget228 
    Now you must get a bigger tank : ) - Little Embers Careful! They're breeding LOL! - Little Embers thank you - Jacko Thanks for the rep - Cliff I couldn't find a new filter for you, but this is cool - Cliff 
    Thanks bud - Cliff Invasion of the Jackrabbits LOL! - Little Embers Merry X-mass - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Merry christmas to you to! - johndoe222 
    Happy Holidays! - Trillianne No Message - cer Birthday cake   :  ) - gadget228 Have a great birthday! - Tango Here's a shark for your backyard alkaline pond! - MLBfan 
    Childhood Cancer - Pleco380 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Pleco380 Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Pleco380 

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats! It's always great to get a new tank.
    26 gallon planted- 1 Black Angelfish, 1 Clown Pleco, Community of Ghost Shrimp
    3 gallon- Male orange VT betta "Mojave"
    Read about my fish in my blog:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...wjournal&j=467

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yay!!! I was hoping that you would Journal your Cory Tank! I love Cories.

Looking forward to watching the progress on this tank and glad you were able to take advantage of the $1 per gallon sale at Petco before it ended.
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    $60 for a 40g tank at Petcos $1 per gallon sale does not make ANY since!!! It should have cost you $40 NOT $60.

Never mind just rered what you wrote and the $60 is for the stand and not the tank. Sorry.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

0 Not allowed!
    I've wondered on the idea of having a second "layer"; like a shelf, another bottom about midway up on a cory tank to expand the floor footprint...
    29: Zebra Danios, Black Skirt Tetras, CAE
    20L: Guppies, Platies, Neons, Peppered Corys
    10: Harlequin Raspboras, Otos, Amano Shrimp
    2.5:<empty>

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Its ok Idoerr, but their not even that cheap if their not on.sale. I think they are a little over a 100 bucks lol, MrJim that's a good idea. Have you ever tried that yourself?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think a tangely piece of wood with a flat piece on top would be a sort of extra floor. That might work pretty well.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I picked up a 40g breeder at Petco's sale, too. :) I paid almost as much for the glass top, LOL! I had a bunch of Petco Pals dollars, though, so that brought the price down considerably.

Since this is going to be a cory tank, keep in mind that cories really enjoy a sand substrate, with small, smooth, evenly sized grains. (Forgive me if I'm repeating something you already know, but I'm new to the forum so don't know hardly anyone yet. :) )

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I'm definetely doing sand. I'm going to Tractor Supply tomorrow to get some black diamond sand. Ive read that a dark substrate helps with stress and makes them feel more comfortable.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen a lot of mention of the black diamond sand but have never actually seen any. I would like to see a close up picture of the grains sometime... the fact that it's a blasting sand concerns me because (and I know very little about blasting sands, LOL) it seems as if the grains would be sharp, and this would actually be WORSE than the cories being in gravel.

Example: I tried Tahitian Moon Black Sand with my cories with disasterous results.

And here is a side by side comparison of TMBS and a silica sand I picked up at my local Menards:

See now much nicer the white grains are vs. the TMBS? I now buy "playsand" from Menards and it's not as nice as the silica sand, but still small and rounded, and of a darker, more natural sand color.