· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because you love your fish. - escamosa   

Default Possible Planarians in NEW tank?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Everyone,
    I've always wanted an aquarium but just recently got into the hobby thanks to getting an aqueon minibow 5.0 for Christmas. I was more than ready to get started, but proceeded with caution avoiding mistakes as I went along. I got myself two African Dwarf Frogs, an Anubias, a Marimo Ball, and a little rock cave for them to hide in. After about three weeks of adjustment, a crazy ammonia spike and learning all I had to do with this newly acquired responsibility, my water quality was stable enough for me to add my last occupant: a female betta. I advised against a male because they are just far too aggressive/competitive for food to house with the frogs. Kermitria[female frog], Prince [male frog], and Nefertiti [female betta] live happily in their five gallon tank right now, with their Mystery Snail Merlin. I am planning to upgrade the tank size, but until I can afford to do so, I am being vigilant with cleanings and new life forms in this tank. One thing I am concerned about is the presence of small white worms on the outer inside edge of the tank. I have read extensively about planaria, but I am not convinced that a tank a MONTH old could have these!? I feed twice/three times a week, and use reptile tongs to feed individual bloodworms, so there's hardly any leftover food to cause these things to exist in the tank... I started noticing them about a week after Nefertiti entered the enclosure. Is this an instance of overcrowding, overfeeding, or have I just happened upon something else? Anyone with advice on planarian removal, or what these worms COULD be besides planaria, please let me know.

I my ADF's:::

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Also Thought I'd Add a PIC

0 Not allowed!

of one of my cute little babies, Kermitria, standing in her "forest"

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I had (and still do) planaria and nematodes in all of my tanks when they were still cycling and didn't have any livestock in them.

I'm hoping they came on plants and such and didn't somehow survive in our nasty public water system. I disinfect all live plants now when I get them or move them from tank to tank but even on the newest tank I still have them. My only thought if they aren't coming from the water is the seeded media I used.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I've totally had the same thought [what if they were in the water!?] i read somewhere that they usually appear after new fish, which is why i thought maybe my betta brought them into the tank... i just don't know *how* because i used a net to put her in, and none of that yucky water got into my tank when i transferred her. one thing i noticed is that after changing my filter yesterday for the first time, they seem to have stopped moving/maybe died? there was no movement from yesterday morning until today, and they all seem to be dead. i unfortunately lost the mosquito larvae i had in the old filter with this change though, but i think i'll have more soon. i have stopped feeding for two days, and tonight when i come home i'm going to go about feeding how i usually do, i just wanted to give the tank some time to breathe.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    I find them in the cutest positions. I was a little worried about the female betta and the two frogs, but they get along perfectly. I see them hanging out together in the little cave all the time. Do you know anything about getting rid of those little white worms??? I am at a loss, and o course everyone I've asked at multiple pet stores hasn't had an answer for me...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift! Thank you for all your great posts =D - Ryuu   for guessing till your gills turned red!  you deserve one!  lol - KrytterKrys   Have a gift! - Tolley   For all your kind comments. Thank you - Celtic Fins   I thought you needed a front. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Planaria are a pinkish color, not white so whatever you have aren't planaria.