· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for betta help - angelcakes   

Default female betta with shrimp and snail?

0 Not allowed!
    hello I am thinking about getting another betta in addition to the one I already have my second betta I am wanting to get a female this time and put her ina 3g with some shrimp and a snail. (the other betta goes by himself) is this a good idea, I am not positive if the female will eat the shrimp or attack the snail. also, 2 more questions 1- are female bettas less aggressive than males or their temperament about the same? 2- are female smaller in body size compared to the male betta? I know their fins are shorter but what about the body? I saw one in the store the other day that was a female and was smaller, but could have been a little baby. I dunno. Let me know. Thanka!!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cuz you have an apple snail! - Kuli_Loach   

0 Not allowed!
    Hey there, I don't know much about female bettas so someone else will have to answer that question.

As for the snail.. I'm figuring you want to get an apple (mystery) snail. I have 1 mystery snail with my male betta in a 10 gallon. My biggest worry was that my betta was going to try to hurt the snail. The betta does not pay him any mind, but the snail is so messy. He leaves poop all over the walls of the tank and anything he crawls on, which is everything. Plants, real or fake, the bubble wand, you name it.

Just a heads up since you are aiming to house them in a 3 gallon. Adult mystery snails are not known for keeping things clean.. just sometimes eating leftover food on the bottom. I've been doing much more frequent water changes since I got the snail.

www.applesnail.net. This site has great info and a forum. The forum also has a section about other snails and good tankmates. Good luck!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the info on apple snails (I didn;t know they could get that big! Still want 1 or 2 though. ) I think I will try and put the female betta and a snail 2gether and if the snail gets attacked by the betta I will move the snail to another small tank. No biggie. Still not sure about the ghost and/or cherry red shrimp though,

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hello. Females are generally more timid and are generally smaller. Mystery snails or Apple snails are very dirty and get very large, I have 5 in my 55g that are around the 3" diameter. Bettas are carnivores. If they are interested, they will eat it. You can try it, but the betta may eat the ghost shrimp, they are sold as feeder shrimp here and I buy them for that reason. Not many survive if any in my tanks, never placed them with a betta though.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wink

0 Not allowed!
    alright then. No shrimp with the betta to be on the safe side. I will do just one apple snail in the 3g with betta See if everything works out otay

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That snail will get to be a pain. You can try a ramshorn, they don't get as large. Try the snail in a larger tank, he will get very large and just like mine do in my 55g, get right were you can't see anything well.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I;ll take a look around at my LFSs and see what I find that is convenient for me
    (snails that is)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for good advice - hobbs   ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09   We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco   NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs   Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Depends on the shrimp too. There are some species of freshwater shrimp sometimes kept that will spear and eat the betta, lol. Ghost/Cherry shrimp are definite nonos. Amano shrimp should be ok, as long the particular shrimp isn't too small/young.
    Foshizzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    lol, all mine has is mystery (apple), ramshorn, and them little long shelled snails.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Talking

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrona
    Depends on the shrimp too. There are some species of freshwater shrimp sometimes kept that will spear and eat the betta, lol. Ghost/Cherry shrimp are definite nonos. Amano shrimp should be ok, as long the particular shrimp isn't too small/young.

i haven;t heard of amano shrimp b4 then again obviously I'm no expert
    what about other fish? would cherry/ghost shrimp get along with an endler LB male? I also want to get one of those too in a small tank
    (separate of course from betta)

having some symptoms of STS-small tank syndrome, hehe