· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I still haven't bought a fish to manage the shrimp however there has been one very positive side effect!

I had black crud growing all over my live plants, on the intake tubes for my filters, and the rocks/gravel..

They are now squeaky clean! The shrimp ate it all! My plants haven't looked as good as they do now since the day I bought them

The rocks all look brand new too =)

They even do a pretty good job on the glass. I've never had an algae eater fish do much of anything. It's amazing what 50+ little shrimps can accomplish.
    Last edited by robble; 01-31-2012 at 04:30 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mgarate91
    There are a lot of fishes that eat shrimps like stingrays, jack dempsey, oscar fish, skipjack fish, and cichlid fish.
    He has a community tank.

robble.......You have a case of black beard algae. Read in the algae thread the stickie on how to eliminate it. It's the worse kind, IMO.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 01-31-2012 at 04:30 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    He has a community tank.

robble.......You have a case of black beard algae. Read in the algae thread the stickie on how to eliminate it. It's the worse kind, IMO.

i HAD a case =P shrimp took care of it. But thanks for letting me know the stickie says how to get rid of it.

I think you are right.. did a google search for black algae images and came up with:

That looks exactly like what was growing. Lucky shrimp seem to think it's very tasty.
    Last edited by robble; 01-31-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by robble
    While I can catch some it would be hard to catch even half of them - it is a planted tank and they have lots of places to hide and get away from a net.
    Don't use a net, Use this, It's cheap and effective.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow that is easy cause when I have an abundance of anything a couple of fair sized crawdads will lower the population quickly.

later mel

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I get rid of my excess shrimp by giving them away.

Way to catch them. Don't feed for two days then place net with a sinking wafer all the way at the back in the tank. Wait 15 minutes..

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wijnands
    I get rid of my excess shrimp by giving them away.

Way to catch them. Don't feed for two days then place net with a sinking wafer all the way at the back in the tank. Wait 15 minutes..

good idea.. they swarm all over the wafers (and any other food).

I gotta say I am impressed with their cleaning ability though. I've never had any fish that kept the tank as clean as those little guys!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just a side note, you need to get more Danios. They are schooling fish and need to be in groups of six or more. I would say at least ten, but I'm not sure how stocked your tank is with all those fish.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    One major drawback of a healthy shrimp population. If a fish dies you're never going to find the cause. Anything that sinks and smells dead is gone within hours.