· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default White spot problem with my OSCAR

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Everyone,

I have a pair of pink and Black oscars, all are in good healty condition but since some days the black ones are developing some white spots on their bodies.
    Also i have a pair of Koi in my fish tank whose scales are remitting their colour

I read in the fish diseases section but the cure for the same is not mentioned
    Please help with the cure. Also Is this disease harmful to my other fishes also and to what extent ?.

Thanks
    Shailesh

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    sounds like some ick to me. qting the oscar and treating with several ways would be best.
    some people like to salt and bump the heat up high (to the upper limmits of the fish).
    others might recommend just the salt,
    but ick meds i think are the best idea. if you qt the oscar make sure it has a cycled filter.

but i could be wrong as "white spots" could be a couple of things.... pictures would be great.....

the koi.... idk....
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Is it possible that they are scars(white marks on scales) from bumping into decorations,bit by other fish in the tank.
    My oscars get these all the time from driftwood,rocks,each other... They also heal and disappear on their own rather quickly with out adding anything to the water.Usually a day or two.
    Can you please post some pics of the white spots before treating the tank for ick.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi

Thanks for the quick reply
    cannot post photos as i am at the office currently
    but these are not scars we can make out the white spots on the body and fins of the fish. also all these fishes are new to my tank ( about a month ago ) and the spots have been developed nowadays. Also would try the option given by Mr. genocidex for the treatment. what should the temp. be raisen to i have an automatic heater so will that suffice.

Thanks
    Shailesh

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Glad you know the difference
    Is the tank cycled?
    How big are the fish,tank...

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/ich.php

Treating Ich

As long as the Ich parasite is protected inside its cyst, it is virtually impossible to get to - the levels of medication that would be necessary to affect the parasite inside the cyst would kill the fish as well. This is why we must focus on the free-swimming tomite stage when the parasite is much more vulnerable.

Bring up the water temperature to 85-88 degrees F (if you think you fish can handle it).
    As mentioned above, Ich can attach itself to the gills of fish and make it hard for them to breathe. It is therefore a good idea to increase aeration in the aquarium to keep the levels of oxygen really high. Adding more aeration is especially important if you increase the water temperature since cool water holds more oxygen than warmer water.
    Add roughly one teaspoon of salt per gallon of water. (You can adjust this amount depending on how salt tolerant you fish are.)
    Carry out a series of water changes and clean all the gravel. Changing around 50% of the water once a day is recommended.
    Continue the treatment for at least one week, since you can only kill the free-swimming Ich parasites. The speed of the life cycle is temperature dependant (it will for instance take three days at 80 degrees F) and continuing treatment for an entire week is recommended to be on the safe side.
    If this is not enough to combat the Ich outbreak, you need to visit your local fish store and pick up some anti-Ich medication. Unfortunately, the Ich parasites seem to become more and more resilient towards treatment each year. Lazy aquarists and pet shop keepers are often tempted to constantly use medications to fend off disease, instead of devoting themselves to frequent water changes etcetera, and this makes it easy for resistant strains of parasites and bacteria to develop.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

0 Not allowed!
    I would simply turn the heat to 82 and treat with aquarium salt, 1 T per 5 gallons and add a airstone.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Lady

I tried the way you suggested and now i think the spots are dissappearing slowly
    i have raised the temp to 80 F and added some salt in it.

Also should i take any precautions in the diet of the fish. currently feeding them chicken heart and normal fish food.

I am also planning to go for a flowerhorn/ Arowana in the same tank will it work with my oscars or will they all be disturbed ?

Thanks
    Shailesh

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    if the listing in your other thread is right (2 pairs of oscars and 1 pair of kio IE 6 really big fish.) then i would say its over stocked as it is. the arowana gets HUGE as in more than 3 feet. the flowerhorn ive never even read anything on so im not sure. i would suggest looking into getting that tank healthy before thinking of anything else.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    I would say no and I would find a pond of those koi. Warm water and gold water fish do not belong together and koi are nearly always kept in ponds due to their size. One Oscar for 75 gallons. I don't know what size tank you have but as already posted above, Arowana's are another huge fish that require a huge tank.

Continuing treating that ick for about 10 days even after you no longer see it on the fish.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was actually planning to get rid of the Koi Pair to a friend of mine and then purchase the Arowana / FlowerHorn.

My tank is of around 132 USG (5x2x2) will it still be over crowded as my oscars are still kids and about 2 inches in size

Thanks
    Shailesh