· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Striped Raphael Catfish Okay In My Tank?

0 Not allowed!
    So, i have a 25 gallon tall tank, and a 10 gallon tank,

25 gallon had 4 bolivan rams, 4 julii cory's, and 1 phantom blue pleco(young)
    10 gallon had 2 bolivian rams(pair), and 2 oto catfish

I sold the 4 bolivan rams from the 25 gallon, and gave the guy my 4 julii cory's, on the way home i was curious to see what the new shipment of fish was at the local fish store. Immediately i purchased two platinum blue angels(i missed my old angel), and then went to the pet store just down the street to see what they got in, i seen a fish i was interested in, I asked about it, to me it looked like an oto catfish, but brown with a tan stripe going down it's side with whiskers, seemed to act and do exactly the same as my oto's always do, so i thought it could be a good addition to my tank, the person at the store said, it was a striped Raphael catfish, a baby(around 1"). They said they only get 4"-5" in length full grown, and are a peaceful fish, non predatory, so i thought that would be interesting to have another catfish to replace my 4 julli's. So i bought the catfish, and brought it home with my angels. I get home, start my research on what to do for the little guy to make life more comfortable and suitable in my tank. And found that they can actually get 8" in length! Now i'm second guessing that it's even able to be in my tank!

So ultimately, i'm going to put my pair of bolivan rams and the two oto catfish into my 25 gallon, along with the phantom blue pleco, and my 2 platinum blue angels. Basically putting me at

25 gallon tall- 2 platinum blue angelfish, 2 bolivan rams, 1 phantom blue pleco, 2 oto catfish, and 1 striped raphael catfish.

For filtration i am running an eheim 2213 canister, and an under-gravel filter with powerhead.

What i'm asking is, that Raphael needs to be returned doesn't it? Would i be more suited to get more oto catfish for a clean up crew rather then a different catfish. at night i always drop in an algae wafer, and a couple shrimp pellets.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not to say they can't reach 8" but in 30+ yrs into this I never saw one that big. 5" is common- 6" max imo. Still kinda big for your set up, although they are loafers of a fish... Pretty much hide out and play dead. if you decide to relocate it, more otos are a great idea, as they fair much better in groups of 6 or more.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    i wouldnt put them in anything with a smaller foot print of than a 55g unless its a grow out tank
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

Based on what I have read about them, a Striped Raphael Catfish would too big for either of the two tanks you just mentioned.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]