· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Aquarium setup idea for Black Moor and Panda Moor

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, everyone!

Just doing doing some researching before buying. My wife and I want to have two fish total and some plants.

We want one black moor, one panda moor and will have plants in there with the sole purpose of being eaten by the goldfish.

We want them to grow as big and live as long as they should without stunting them and realize that good tank size and filtration are they key.

I know that they will hopefully get 8-10 inches each but realize that a lot of this is fin and that they are not considered long bodied goldfish.

For the tank, we were thinking a 55 for just the two goldfish and their plants. Is this going to be big enough for their whole lives?

For filtration, I was thinking two Marineland Penguin 350s. This would give a combined flow rate of 700 gph. This would filter the entire volume of the tank over 12 times and hour.

What do you think?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Aaron

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    sounds like a wonderful tank. That should be plenty of space for them and plenty of filtration. Have you read about the fishless cycle? Since you're taking your time to do things right, you might as well give your fish the best possible environment from the start.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Thank you!

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much for your response!

We're both so excited. I'm really interested to see how big they are REALLY supposed to get and how long they are supposed to live. I feel horrible about the time I had a fish tank as a child after my recent research!

Yes, I had heard about the fishless cycle and was planning on doing that. There's no more reason to make fish uncomfortable as the tank cycles it seems.

Another question if you don't mind. As far as I can tell, there's no such thing as "overfiltration" but I know that moors are slow moving fish and can be bothered by too much movement of water. The two penguin 350s won't "shake them up" too much will it?

If the answer is no, could I possibly use two Emperor 400s or two Aquaclear 110s?

I thought that might be even better. What do you think!

Thanks again!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    So far you have mentioned Marineland Penguin 350s, Emperors and AC.
    A canister and an AC would be better but if not, then AC's. The other two are nothing to brag about.

Have you checked on some of the fancies? They are nice and won't outgrow that 55.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't used penguin filters myself so I don't have a good feel for how they churn up the tank. My goldfish tank (which is a 60 gallon, 2'x2' cube) has an aquaclear 50 and a fluval 305 canister filter. I had to fiddle with the outputs to try and reduce the turbulence in the tank because I noticed that when the flow was too strong the goldfish would just hunker down on the substrate... so flow can definitely be an issue for fancy goldfish. Aquaclears have adjustable flow rates. I don't know if penguins or emperors do or not. AC110s might be overkill for 2 goldfish in a 55 gallon. I have one in a 70 gallon and it definitely keeps the water circulating!

Keep in mind that goldfish are slow growers. If you have a planted 55 gallon tank with only two fancy goldfish, your tank will be very lightly stocked until they reach large adult size (which will take years) so I don't think you need to go overboard on filtration, especially at first. On the other hand, you may feel like getting a few more fish once you see how small a couple young goldfish look in a 4' long tank.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again to both of you!

Lady Hobbs:
    I have to admit, I'm intimidated by the canister filters. That’s why I keep leaning toward the HOBs.
    Also, are the moors and telescopes not considered fancies?
    So they will outgrow the 55?
    What would they eventually need?
    Maybe a 75 or 125 for the two?

Brhino:
    Thanks again!
    When you say “really slow growth rate,” if we were to keep only the two in the 55 with at least 10X per hour filtration, what kind of growth rate could we expect?
    We’d rather not get a bunch and then have to get rid of some later on after we’ve gotten attached to them.

Thanks again!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just because... - alfcea   for starting a saltwater tank - cocoa_pleco   Tanks really coming together! - oldhead   merry christmas - cocoa_pleco   Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  :) - KrytterKrys   

0 Not allowed!
    Those are considered fancies as long as the have a fantail and not a fork tail. Our largest black moore has grown maybe 4-5 inches in the 3 and a half years we've had it and is around 8 or 9 inches now including the fins

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    yup. Growth rate is really hard to predict because it's based on so many factors. Water temperature, water quality, feeding schedule, type of food, and genetics, just off the top of my head.

A "rule of thumb" that's often used for fancy goldfish is 20 gallons for the first fish and then 10 gallons for each additional fish. This assumes that the fish have reached or will reach their full adult sizes. From that you can see that a 55 gallon tank is more than enough room for 2 fancy goldfish even once they reach large size.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, guys!

Labnjab,
    So there are different types of moors and we can just look at the tail to tell which one and make sure to get the fancy?
    Brhino,
    Thanks again. I had read the “20 gallons for the first and 10 for each additional fish” rule, but was starting to suspect that it may not be right due to Lady Hobbs chart stating that Moors get up to 10” and Telescope Eyes get up to 8”.

The funny thing is that we were originally looking into getting an Oscar but were reconsidering. One of the reasons was tank size. It seems that goldfish may even require a bigger tank than an Oscar. Is this right?

Thanks again so much, guys. I really appreciate your responses and patience with me. I want to do the right thing and would rather not do it at all if I can’t do it right. I raise Boa constrictors so I know how bad it can be when people don’t research before they buy.

Thank you, Labnjab and Brhino!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    all moors are fancy goldfish. Labnjab was just stating that any fantailed goldfish is a fancy... unless she's seen slimbodied singletail goldfish with moor eyes, which would be a new one for me.

Fancy goldfish definitely do not require as much space as an oscar. Oscars get a bit bigger than even the biggest fancy goldfish, and they are much more efficient swimmers.

Bottom line - a 55 gallon tank would be an excellent home for two fancy goldfish of any variety.