· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishkeeper
    'bait-type' is any small fish.
    No its not. Many smallish fish are protected. A common minnow is not in the same class as a sculpin in my state.One is protected and the other is not.That being said,I see that they are not protected in tx.
    Last edited by smaug; 01-26-2012 at 09:24 PM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bait-type is what some people call smaller fish. They certainally aren't the same as minnows. Frankly, the idea of skewering an animal on a hook to catch fish for pleasure disgusts me.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah... growing up, "bait fish" was any of those small fish that you don't know how to identify and are eaten by larger fish. Of course, now I know better, and many states have very strict laws on what is classified as a "bait fish". For instance, in GA, a "bait fish" is any non-game fish that is less than 5 inches in total length. Of course there are protected non-game fish. So, legally, in GA, any non-protected darter, sculpin, minnow, shad, and many of the catfishes including bullheads and madtoms are all officially "bait fish". Anyway, got a bit off topic, but each state has their own bait fish regulations.

Back to the main topic. You've got everything sorted out. Since you don't have fast moving, constantly hungry minnows as tank mates, you shouldn't have to worry about getting enough food to the bottom of the tank. Many folks, including myself, have had to feed minnows and darters separately. Basically, feeding floating flakes on one end of the tank for aggressive eating minnows, then using a tube, or small baster to squirt bloodworms to the bottom of the tank for the darters. They do not eat fast. Once they grab their food, it might take them a while to suck down the worm. Now is actually a really good time to go out and look for these guys. Just acclimate them properly (I'd prefer drip acclimation), and over a long period of time.
    Support your local ichthyofauna - buy a fishing license!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking acclimate them over several days. We get our drinking water from a lake, so the water in my tank shouldn't be too different. Also, I have a wheat allergy, and flakes have wheat, so I feed frozen anyway. Some always ends up on the bottom, and it takes a while for them to be found.
    Last edited by Fishkeeper; 01-27-2012 at 02:42 PM.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae