· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Creating a hood

1. Default Creating a hood

0 Not allowed!
    hi,
    ive got a 63 litre old hex tank but i don't have the hood for it and dont believe i will be able to get one, so i was wondering what people would recommend to use to create a hood? this is so i can install lighting for the tank?

any recommendations would help

cheers :)

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would very simply buy a standard glass lid that is as wide as the hex width and either cut the angled sides myself or take it to a glass guy to cut it.... Just lay it over the tank in the fashion you what the lid to open and trace out the cuts.

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    After the shape is cut have him cut it in half and get a plastic hinge for it.The light can sit right on top depending on what light you have.
    Make sure the edges get polished.
    Have you looked to buy a lid somewhere?
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You can either buy a glass lid/cut one or take it to a glass cutter to cut for you.

One cheap and effective way that several create hoods, is by using Lexan. Some sheets can be bought at Lowe's for $4 (see link).
    Empty 125g sitting in my shed
    55g Freshwater Tropical Community
    29g Convict Fry Growout Tank
    10g Freshwater Planted Tropical Community
    5g Freshwater Planted Dirt
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    okai thanks for the ideas guy will start looking into it :) and yeah ive had a search online and in my LFS but no luck so far but will still look out for one :) and i havent got lighting yet, cnt really choose it without knowing my hood plans :)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Keep in mind that if you choose lexan over glass it can easily yellow and warp w/ heat from stronger lighting.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuckoochews
    Keep in mind that if you choose lexan over glass it can easily yellow and warp w/ heat from stronger lighting.
    i always thought it was plexiglass that yellowed and lexan was good, but i could be 100% wrong XD
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuckoochews
    In my experience, plexiglass and acrylic warp from the humidity, and Lexan Polycarbonate doesn't.
    Your mileage may vary and there are hundreds if not thousands of formulations for clear plastics. Also, I use .25" thick Lexan.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We used Lexan when building robots for FIRST's First Robotic Challenges the last 2 years and they had extensive heat from the motors running and they never warped. The only time they warped was during extreme physical force (being flipped over or having tools drop on them).
    Empty 125g sitting in my shed
    55g Freshwater Tropical Community
    29g Convict Fry Growout Tank
    10g Freshwater Planted Tropical Community
    5g Freshwater Planted Dirt
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank