· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Mom wants otos

1. Default Mom wants otos

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so my mom has a 10 gal tank that has bad algae problems and she is wanting to make it just a beta tank. Her other tank does fine on algae because of a very gentle and happy CAE. But she's been asking around and thought about getting some otos for the 10 but I think she wouldn't have enough room even with just a beta. IDK- and I'm hearing that the otos almost always die in a month because they starve or whatnot. But she always puts algae wafers in for her CAE and corys and mollies in other tank. what do you think? Any ideas?
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater
    10 gal empty ~ someday Betta
    4 cats, 1 dog and 2 kids. (2yr-4yrs) Potty Training and one on the way

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    otos will work in a 10 gallon tank, assuming the betta tolerates them.

The only reason otos "always die in a month" is because people do not do their research. They will need fresh veggies to eat constantly in addition to the algae that they will take care of. Commercial foods may not be taken (although mine like to eat the same NLS pellets the other fish get, which is strange for otos). They're a little more work than the average fish for that reason, but if you're willing to make sure you've always got some veggies on hand they should live long healthy lives just like any other fish.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Nerite snails are a better option for a 10 gallon tank, one of those would likely be enough to clean out the algae and keep it down.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    she wants and has live plants. would snails be ok
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater

0 Not allowed!
    Not to jump in on this, but here I go.

Nerites and Mystery snails would be typically ok for plants. In her 10 gallon shoes, I would go with the Nerite. I've found that omnivorous fish like to nip the Mystery's everytime they get on the glass. With a Nerite the shell is so tight around the foot of the snail a fish wouldn't be able to harass much. I infact have a 10 gallon with a nerite and oto's inside. 1 nerite and 3 oto's. The tank also has plants and some very active Danio. I've not had any problems with my plants and snails. I have an article on snails in my sig line... mostly about Mystery snails.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Nerites are a good choice as they don't breed in FW.
    20gal long planted community

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks. mom has guppies and danios
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater