· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Synodontis Catfish - Catfish 101 questions

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all!

I'm on my search for Catfish (probably going to get one over Spring Break)

Let me give you some background on my tank:
    40G
    a Red Tail Shark (named Shark Bait)
    5 Tiger Barbs
    a Convict Cichlid

All small but they should all still grow.

So I'm at my LFS, looking around (mostly for a plant that could sit on top of my tank) and to get my cousin an aquatic frog. While I'm there I start looking at the catfish and the guy helps me out. I tell him I have a 40G tank and he shows me one titled "LRG Synodontis Catfish 19.99" It must of been a few inches big. Longer then any fish I have but not that wide (wider then my fish but then again I don't have anything that big lol). He said it wont get much bigger if any. He also showed my the Raphaels (which I'm also strongly considering a stripped Raphael but I'm like 99% positive he'll be good in my tank). I also remember him mentioning angelicus catfish (but I guess that is just a type of Synodontis???

The Synodontis he showed me was blackish/navyish (but from the primer reading I read on this site could have been purple...) Whatever it was it was a nice color. He had white markings (I wouldn't go far enough to say poka-dots but I remember markings on him, a faded white I would say).

Anyway, could anyone identify him with my description (I know its not that good of a description). Or tell me which one I should be looking at.

Also I would love any other types of catfish to consider!

thanks all
    -Ice
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    The problem with that proposal is that convicts, redtail sharks, and most Synodontis catfish are all territorial critters. The shark will eventually want to claim the whole tank already, though I imagine the convict will be tough enough to stand his ground. The most commonly available Synodontis are the common upside-down catfish (nigriventris) and the featherfin (eupterus). The commons are smaller, social fish, best kept in groups. The eupterus and angelicus grow somewhat larger, a bit too much so for a crowded 40. If you upgraded to a 75 one of those would be fine.
    The raphael would be a better fit for a 40. They're strictly nocturnal, and would be asleep/under cover until the lights are off, out of the way of the other fish.
    Another option, though availability may be a problem, is a bumblebee catfish. They also work the night shift.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks!

I wouldnt consider my tank OC though (I mean they are all young). If I post a picture of my tank tomorrow can you tell me if I'll need more hiding space for the catfish? (I'll probably post the picture before anyway lol)

The Bumblebee does seem cool though

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Ya, I went through years of swapping out various fish that either outgrew the tank or just didn't mix well. That was before the internet (and having enough tanks) made things much easier. I used to research fish through descriptions in books, quite often a hit-or-miss regarding the exact species, and fish don't read books (or always look/act as described) IME.
    A suitable-sized hollow ornament is all the catfish would need, though you may have to add several more for the cichlid and shark to argue over too.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't. I had two of the Synodontis eupterus (Featherfin Squeaker) and loved them! The problem was that neither Firemouths nor my Blood Parrots did. Catfish want to be in caves.....the same caves that the cichlids want to be in, is the problem. And cichlids are not known to want to share their caves. I miss my squeakers a lot but I gave them to my son for his tank because it was too much of a hassle. Having a convict, barbs and a red tail sounds like plenty of aggression to me already.

They might be young now but in 5 months they won't be.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I wouldn't. I had two of the Synodontis eupterus (Featherfin Squeaker) and loved them! The problem was that neither Firemouths nor my Blood Parrots did. Catfish want to be in caves.....the same caves that the cichlids want to be in, is the problem. And cichlids are not known to want to share their caves. I miss my squeakers a lot but I gave them to my son for his tank because it was too much of a hassle. Having a convict, barbs and a red tail sounds like plenty of aggression to me already.

They might be young now but in 5 months they won't be.

what wouldn't you do? I'm looking a suggestions of a fish, I really don't know much about catfish... expect that some of them become HUGE. I no I'm limited in choice because of my stock (I need something semi-aggressive) and size of tank (can't get something that is going to be a foot long or anything)

I can always add hiding spaces for my fish...

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would be careful putting synodontis with any new world cichlid, synodontis are generally placid and will be pushed around. Also the red tail shark will probably compete with it for real estate. You could try pictus cats, they are less territorial