· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Time for an update! I added some Water Wisteria yesterday.

First some photos

I think it will look pretty good once the plants grow in.

Now on to the exciting news! My nitrites took a big dive. Current readings are Ammonia = 0, Nitrites = .5 ppm, Nitrates = 20 ppm. Looks like I may able to go buy some fish this weekend!!
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the readings!!!!
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Last night's readings: Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 20. Whoopee! Gave the tank what is hopefully it's last feeding of ammonia last night.

So here is the plan for today: I have to work until noon, then it's home to do a water change and hopefully remember to set the heaters back to 78. After everything settles in, it's off to the local fish store to look for rainbows!

Last time I was there they had boesemanis, turquois, neons, and some milleniums that had already been sold. Hope they have some good ones there this afternoon!
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff had me all talked into getting 12 rainbows today, and the LFS let me down. I had planned on getting 6 turquoise and 6 boesmani. No boesmanis left, grrrrr. They only had 4 dwarf neons, and they didn't look so great. I wound up getting 6 turqoise.

Maybe after they get settled in I'll try to get some pics later this weekend.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    After further review, I did not buy 6 turquoise rainbows, I bought 6 dwarf neon rainbows. There was one tank marked "Dwarf neon rainbows" with four kinda crummy looking little rainbows in it, and another tank just marked "Rainbows". I asked the icthyologist on duty at the LFS what kind of rainbows they were. His expert opinion was "The pretty kind". Thanks Sherlock.

Now that they have had a chance to settle in, I'm 99% certain I have 3 male and 3 female, young dwarf neons. I'd like to get some pictures in the morning when the boys are showing off, but I won't get a chance until Sunday morning.

How's that for a tease?

0 Not allowed!
    Tank looks great and congrats on the finished cycle

Guess we have no choice but to wait on the fish pics
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Phil
    I asked the icthyologist on duty at the LFS what kind of rainbows they were. His expert opinion was "The pretty kind". Thanks Sherlock.
    Let me guess... petco?
    2 Gallon: 1 african dwarf frog
    10 Gallon: 3 cherry barbs
    29 gallon: 2 platys, 3 harliquen rasboras, 2 juli cories

"The idea that man can manage nature would be the funniest joke ever told if it were'nt so series" unkown biologist

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainlion63
    Let me guess... petco?
    No, Petland.

Petland is actually the best LFS in the immediate area. Still doesn't mean the employees know their elbow from a pelvic fin.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First a confession: I am perhaps the worst fish photographer in the history of aquarium keepers. If you folks ever decide to run a contest for "worst fish picture of the month", I am a lock to win it. I have read the sticky in the photography section, and I will go re-read it in a minute. I will then continue trying, but I will admit to being a little frustrated at this point.

On to some tank update news: I picked up 3 anubias nanas this weekend, they are looking nice. I'm starting to see some growth on one clump of water wisteria. One of my java ferns is making plantlets. So far so good on the plant front.

Remember I said I was 99% sure I had 6 dwarf neons? Well, now I'm 99% sure I do NOT have 6 dwarf neons. I am having a heck of a time figuring out what these guys are. I have looked at rainbow pics on the net until my eyes are ready to pop out, and I still can't decide what they are. I think I will have to wait until either they mature more, or I learn to take a decent picture so you folks can help me. For now, I will just call them Mystery Rainbows.

I also picked up 6 Turquois Rainbows at PetSmart. They look better already sitting in my QT for now, I'm sure they will look fantastic once they get in the 125g. Unfortunately, unless I learn how to take a picture, you'll never know!

Excuse me while I wander off to the Photography section.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Phil
    I am perhaps the worst fish photographer in the history of aquarium keepers.
    It took me 6 months to track down and photograph a muskrat at a large pond near my house. Its taken me 6 YEARS to accuretly take a picture of a single fish in a ten gallon tank.Good luck!
    2 Gallon: 1 african dwarf frog
    10 Gallon: 3 cherry barbs
    29 gallon: 2 platys, 3 harliquen rasboras, 2 juli cories

"The idea that man can manage nature would be the funniest joke ever told if it were'nt so series" unkown biologist