· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Cory Development Question

0 Not allowed!
    My mom has a pair of Albino Cories that constantly lay eggs. She was havin really bad problems with the eggs getting attacked by some kind of fungus or something and becoming moldy. She finally got one to hatch after like the 5th batch of eggs, and raised him up in one of those little breeder trap things for a month in a half. She gave him to me now because i wanted him anyway for when i get my new tank, and i have a bigger fry tank set up that would be much more comfortable than his breeder trap. At the rate hes growing we assume ill have my new tank by the time hes big enough to go in. But the problem with him is that his spine is all messed up. From looking at him at eye level he is normal looking, but from above his body is very squiggly, like that thing over the special n in spanish. He seems stuck that way.

He swims, eats, seems otherwise healthy. Im wondering if maybe its because he was jammed in that trap for so long. If that is the problem, will he grow out of it eventually now that i have him in a larger space? Or could it be some kind of side effect to his hard life as an egg where he, like all of his would-be siblings, was attacked by the fungus thing? And if it cant be corrected, do you think he can live a normal life with it, or do you think he is in pain and should be euthanized?

Sidenote: I will be getting 4 more from my moms next batch (fungus free this time!), so i will have a small school by the time they are ready for my tank. So i wont have too few by that time. Shell give me these ones a week after hatching so they dont have to be so cramped up like Baby was.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Probably a birth defect. Fish with crooked backbones can live normal lives as long as they can swim alright.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    One of my corys I raised is crooked too. He's very tall bottom-to-top but it's like he's smushed up front-to-back. He's nearly adult sized now and seems to get by just fine.

Also: the secret to avoiding the fungus is removing the unfertilized eggs (which turn pale, opaque white rather than transparent golden), and placing the eggs somewhere with good water flow. I attached mine to a rock that was right under the HoB outflow in my fry tank and never lost an egg that way.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok ill let him grow then. Im glad hes going to live a normal life, hes so cute and i instantly attached to him. :) And thanks for that info about the eggs Brhino. Ill pass that along to my mom.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    When I try to hatch a batch of eggs from my cories I remove them carefully with a razor blade and put them in a little 2 gallon tank with a sponge filter, heater, and methylene blue. The methylene blue stops the fungus and they grow out quite well. I put them in the main tanks after they reach a length of about 1/2 inch.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How long does that take gm72? Hes about 5 weeks old right now.

I know it sounds really wierd, but i think my little guy thinks he is a molly... My mom had him all alone in that little thing, because he was the only survivor out of his batch of eggs, and now he is living with my 5 molly fry. Mom said when he was with her he sat on the bottom and never really moved. Now hes swimming in the little school at top level and pecking at everything he sees his "siblings" nip at. He never stays on the ground for more than 5 seconds to rest. Its so cute to see the misfit "molly". I wonder if he will realize hes not one of them when the next batch of eggs hatches and gets to me and he gets some cory siblings.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    that's not really a "cute" behavior, that's what happens when you put a fish of a schooling species without a school. It's stressed so it's seeking a school of whatever it can find, even if it's an unrelated species.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hm. Well he will have a school of week old siblings of his own species in another week or two. Hopefully hes not too confused by then.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    :D 10 out of the 15 eggs she had scraped from side of tank and put in separate area have hatched today! She had the breeder trap in front of the filter flow this time like you guys suggested, and no fungus this time. :) Squiggles the deformed cory has siblings! She says they are really sensitive to car rides and that Squiggles almost died getting to me. How long until it should be safe to move four of these new ones to me so he has some same species companions?
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything