· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AmyLynn's Fluval Chi

0 Not allowed!
    Thought I'd start this to actually track the progress since there seems to be a few interested in how the Chi works.

Tank was initially set up on 12/31/11 as a replacement for the small and very scratched 2.5 gallon hex.

Substrate is not Flourite, but rather a left over bag of Floracor red. Flora is one larger anubias nana, a few pieces of needle leaf java fern and what I believe is cryptocoryne undulata. If someone can ID it differently please let me know. Fauna is one female crowntail betta and one leopard Nerite snail.

Filtration and lighting is stock with no plants to retrofit unless necessary.

75 gallon planted
    5 gallon planted betta sorority
    Lack of planning on your part doesn't justify an emergency on my part.

0 Not allowed!
    A little less than two weeks in and not impressed. There is very little water movement so I have a slimey buildup on the tank walls and on my nerite snail and the tank kinda stinks a bit. Reports back on the lighting have not been promising. Anything directly under the little square of light grows ok, but nothing else does well. So, not sure what I'm going to do to modify or retrofit anything. I may start with putting my little palm filter on it to get some better water movement.
    75 gallon planted

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    ah thats too bad. I was looking at one of these. I guess they need some modding.
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    Either that or twice weekly water changes.
    75 gallon planted

0 Not allowed!
    My recommendation if you want to plant your tank is to not get the Fluval Chi. Plants will survive and grow a bit, but it isn't an ideal tank. Filtration is very minimal at best. It really performs more as a pump for a waterfall type effect. There is no room to add any decent biological filtration. Every now and then I see a bunch of "dust" floating around underneath the filter. Lighting is very narrow. Dark areas all around the edge of the tank. Plants seem to do find right under the cone of light, but obviously you would want to plant out more than that.

If you wanted a non-planted tank for a single betta it may do well enough. Hard to see your fish though if it's outside of the "cone".

Trying to decide now if I want to modify it (I've already added a second filter) or if i want to craigslist it and get something more suitable.

75 gallon planted

0 Not allowed!
    That's a bummer it's not working out. I've been considering getting one myself since they do look sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

0 Not allowed!
    I think the Fluval Ebi would be a better choice if you want to go planted. This little guy just doesn't have the oomph.
    75 gallon planted

0 Not allowed!
    You might be able to get a small sponge filter and suction cup it to the back. Or perhaps a small canister filter like the zoomed501?

0 Not allowed!
    I have my palm filter hanging off of the back. But I can't add any better lighting to it unless I remove the filter/light combo off of it.
    75 gallon planted

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry that it's not working out so well. Now that you mentioned it, I do see how the outer edges of the tank are darker so that would have an effect on the plant growth in those areas.

While it may not have turned out the way you wished it would have, your journal has been able to allow others to see the pros and cons of a planted Chi.
    And the challanges it may bring.

For that alone I say
    Last edited by kurly; 01-28-2012 at 09:33 PM.
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!