· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Identification Required Please

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

I've recently joined the forum in search of some help identifying two fish - been told they are catfish. Names (so i can look up on net) and/or any other information would be great!!

Photos attached as PDFs.

Many thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, those are the same fish as the other post.
    One is a catfish, Two a pleco.

Hopefully someone else can be more specific for you.
    20gal long planted community

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    many thanks!

apologies for the double post....not quite sure what i'm doing!!!

0 Not allowed!
    The first one looks like an asian upside-down cat. If it is you need to return it or get a much larger tank. A single specimen would need at least a 55 gallon tank but preferably more like a 75 gallon.

The second looks like a common pleco. Again, you either would need to return it or get a much larger tank. They should never be kept in a tank less than 55 gallons.

You have a huge amount of algae in the tank. Ideally you should have none. How often do you perform water changes and what are your water parameters?
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

5. Default Thankyou for replying

0 Not allowed!
    The tank is currently with its previous owner - i brought it today and collecting on saturday (hopefully it will be clean by then!).

The tank is 260 ltrs - so your recommendation on tank size should be ok.

We currently have danios, tetras, a golden catfish and a loach (dont know exact species - not a weather loach though :) We don't want to put our fish in any harm!! If we decide to keep the new catfish, could they harm our current fish??

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    They just bought that tank today, as is, gm72...stated in their intro thread...
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    If I'm right about it being an asian upside-down cat then it will eat the smaller fish once it gets big enough.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

8. Default Nooooo

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, Hmmmmmmm.....I think i shall be visiting my local fish tank
    A. With the photos.
    B. See what they recommend.

You say that when they get big enough they will probably eat the smaller ones....the current owner said one of the two fish was 25cm already!! Thats pretty big already isn't it!!

0 Not allowed!
    Yes it is. At that size it has to be an asian upside-down cat. It will eat anything it can get into its mouth in my experience. I have two, one about 10" and the other about 12" in a 220 gallon tank. Used to have a school of 12 giant danios and they ate all but one.
    8 tanks running now:

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Catfish in the first pic looks too brown to be an Asian upside-down cat, they're black with a few gold or silver spots on the sides. Synodontis cats may eat smaller fish, but they aren't actually predatory.
    The common pleco in the second pic actually needs a much larger tank.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.