· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lights and camera are here! And I bought three more rocks. Two were normal, one was kinda smallish.

I'll be testing for ammonia and possibly nitrate later tonight. Have no idea how fast it'll cycle with these rocks and net of sand I got from the store, but I've no intention of rushing things, either.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No nitrate, but maybe a bit more ammonia, not sure. Color cards are so vague.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I hate to quadruple post, but it seems a small snail has hitchiked into my tank. Is it gonna be alright? Can inverts handle the cycling process?

0 Not allowed!
    Many hitch hiking inverts, usually the kinds you can't purchase (e.g., small snails, pods, micro-sea stars, crabs, pest anemone's, bristleworms, fanworms, etc), can withstand the cycling process, though some die-off may occur.

Nice start, by the way!
    Last edited by kaybee; 01-05-2012 at 02:49 AM.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks.

I don't think I'll bother testing again until the weekend.

I have two questions: one, does this seem like enough live rock now? And two, when and how should one introduce inverts? My book talks a lot about introducing fish, but little about inverts.

0 Not allowed!
    It doesn't look like quite enough rock to me. I had 2 29 gallons until I merged them into a 75 gallon 2 years ago. I'll post a picture of each with the amount of rock each had

Here is one of them with roughly 35 lbs of rock.

and the other with around 50 lbs of rock

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think you need more but actual weight of rock can be deceiving. This is my 58 gal and despite the looks like I have alot of rock it is barely 45lbs in there. Your rocks seems pretty dense whereas mine is very lacey and lightweight.
    26nov.JPG

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, is it enough to cycle the tank in a reasonable amount of time with (considering this all came from established tanks, plus the net full of sand from a reef tank), at least?

I can get a good bit of dry rock for much cheaper the weekend after next.

I'm pretty sure these rocks way at least 40 pounds altogether, for what it's worth. They're sturdy Fiji rocks, mostly.

0 Not allowed!
    You could add some more dry rock to improve your tank's filtration once it becomes live. You will have to stock your fish very slowly to make sure your bactria can keep up with the demands.

When you pick out your dry rock, look for rock that is very porous, almost looking like there is holes part way through it. The more porous it is the better filtration it will provide. Also, look for a uniform almost off- white color. A little discoloration from that is OK.

Example below

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I've been reading up on dry rock. For what it's worth, I've been researching for about a year. Reread that book more than once.

Anyhow, I can either get more fully cured rock now and a little dry rock next weekend or get a bunch of dried rock next weekend. I just don't want to sabotage my cycle.

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast