· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In reference to your picture with the ammonia reading, I'd like to ask an off-topic question: do you always read these with the vial right up against the white card? I'm never sure if I'm doing it right as it seems darker this way, as if the reflection from the pictures on the left darken the color of the water, whereas if I hold it up next to the card (but not against it) on a while background it is a shade or two lighter.

Just wondering for my future measurements, trying to learn from others
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats
    "The seaweed is always greener in somebody else's lake." -Sebastian the crab

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure if there's a right or wrong way. I usually look at it from a variety of angles.

The main reason it's that close in the picture is so I can hold the camera and the vial/card at the same time. :P

Personally, I kinda dislike the color method (so hard for me to distinguish), but it's the best we've got, short of expensive monitors.
    كل نفس ذائقة الموت ثم الينا ترجعون

0 Not allowed!
    There are some dietial test kits out there that you might find easier to use. I am actually considering getting the below for checking Cal and dKH as my current test kits have almost run out

https://hannachecker.com/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh nice. Bookmarked!

That definitely would be simpler than my current calcium test.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just got a free old 29 gallon tank to clean up!

I think I'm gonna drill this one!

I still have my old lights, they are about 1.7 watts a gallon. Is that enough for most LPS? I know in Goldbarbs sticky, he said he ran most of his LPS in his 125 gallon with like 200 or so watts.
    Last edited by Ashurbarnipal; 03-04-2012 at 02:27 PM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm reading up a bit about sumps. I definitely want one with a refugium. I'm a little unsure about setting up a sump and how much drilling is required, so any info there would be good.

Also, would a ten gallon be large enough sump/refugium or should I try to go higher?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm considering buying a 20 long so I'll have more space in the refugium, but I dunno if that's really necessary. I'm open to input though.

0 Not allowed!
    Drilling a tank is not all that hard IMO. The below link exlpains it. But you would have to completely empty you tank so I'm not too sure if that is the best option right now. You don't have to drill sump. You can set one up with drilling it. But if you want to make the most of the avalable space in your sump you could drill it and keep your return pump outside of the sump

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=76407

Check out Hockeyhead's tank journel. He did a sump without a drilled tank and it seams to work out well for him.

My two journels also explain a little bit about how I built my sumps in my two set-ups
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No, I got a brand NEW 29 gallon for free! Nothing in it right now (gonna have to re-silicone it first anyways)

I'm gonna build my own stand and put a sump in that. I'm just wondering if 10 gallons is enough for a quality refugium or if I should invest in something more.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, reading an article (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/gt/index.php) says that plastic containers can be used. Maybe I could just get one of them at about a 15-20 gallon config?

Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast