· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default 29 gal FOWLR, eventual reef

0 Not allowed!
    I am preparing to set up a 29 gallon FOWLR aquarium, which is my first salt tank, and I read The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta on the advice of fish savvy friends. It suggests that after waiting 24 hours for the salt to settle to wait for a further few days before adding the live rock to avoid die off.

I'm planning on getting cured live rock from the pet store, stuff that's been running in their tanks for a year, so I want to be very careful.

My question is, exactly how long precisely I should wait after the salt has settled?

0 Not allowed!
    If you mix your saltwater to the correct salinity (1.023 to 1.026 ) you should not have any salt on the bottom of your tank

I would suggest mixing your SW before adding it to your aquarium so you can control your salinity and aviod this all together
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mix the salt and water outside the tank and make sure it is stable at the desired sg before adding it to the tank. You will get some die off witb the live rock no matter what but don't worry about tbat as that die off is what will cycle your tank.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I should have said that I have not purchased any rock yet. There is nothing in my tank presently but twenty gallons of R/O water, a heater, and a powerhead.

And yes, the author said there would be die off, but that if the water is aged, the cycle is completed more swiftly.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    There should be no "settling" of the salt. If there is, there's something wrong with the amount or the salt itself.
    The water will not be sitting in your tank uncirculated, so the salt will not settle out. There is no "precise" measurement for the timing of anything in this hobby, but 24 hours to age is fine.

I also leave a powerhead running in my premixed saltwater (for water changes), so it doesn't have a chance to settle.
    Last edited by sheamurai; 01-01-2012 at 01:40 AM.
    20gal long planted community

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I mix my water and use it within a few hours. Once the water is clear the salt is fully mixed,salt does not come out of solution once mixed unless by evaporation.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah. Well, to be fair, the word I used is settled, but looking back in the book, what he said was more 'once the water has aged.' But thanks for the feedback

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so after letting the tank sit for a day with my 110 gph powerhead and heater running (it's between 76-77 atm), I added from a five gallon bucket of instant ocean salt, about 9 cups, as the instructions said half a cup per gallon, so I wanted to add less.

Came back half a day later and the salt level is through the roof. Hydrometer goes clear up to 1.30, near the top of it's range. Now, I think my powerhead might be both underpowered and I'm not sure the venturi is working right, so I popped another powerhead in, 160 gph with a venturi I'm reasonably sure worked.

Any ideas? Did I put too much in or does the water need more aeration/time?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Figured I'd do an update:

Started giving the clam 1 hour of full light a day:

Look acclimated? Thinking of doing Cliff's feeding method tomorrow or the next day.

Here's the zoas, which I think I'll just trade at some point:

And the newest from QT

So, I've been wondering if my old lights would be enough for LPS in this tank (29 plus 20 sump), like frogspawn I know I want?

It's two t-5s at 48 watts total. One actinic one white Thoughts?
    كل نفس ذائقة الموت ثم الينا ترجعون

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Clam is definitely taking up calcium. My levels dropped from 440 to 400. I dosed lightly with coral vite
    كل نفس ذائقة الموت ثم الينا ترجعون