· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Default My 90 Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Im starting my reef tank journal early in the process of setting up my first reef tank

Im going to start off with a FOWLR set-up stocking reef friendly fish. Once I have learned from that, and the tank seems established, I will slowly add corals from there. Heres what I have so far for equipment

90 gallon tank, drilled for a sump lines with a built in over box
    30 gallon sump (I traded off the 40 I originally had)
    Red Sea Berlin X2 protein skimmer ( I will have to up-grade when adding corals)
    Aquaglobe Model AQ600 wet/dry pump
    Double T5 light future with 108 watts and 10000K of light
    Nova RO/DI system (still waiting for a few parts to come in that I ordered for it).

Equipment I have left to get:
    3 power heads. Still trying to figure out which ones would be best for the coral that I like
    Proper lighting for coral, Im going for really good quality lighting so I will have a lot of options for picking coral.
    Dry and Live sand, about 2" on the bottom
    Dry and live rock, about 100lbs in total

Initial stocking list:
    Two clown fish
    Two Fox Face
    Three or four blennies
    One Yellow Tang (still need to confirm I could keep him in my 90)

My next steps are to build a stand for this set-up and re-silicone the 90 gallon tank. Once that is done, Ill clean-up every, out it together to check for leaks, and make sure everything works as it should
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    On your way! Good luck and enjoy the ride, lol.
    20gal long planted community

Default Another Up-date

0 Not allowed!
    So heres my latest up-date for my 90 gallon SW set-up

Not much to look at yet as it is still a work in progress.

I know it doesnt look it, but I have actually put a lot of work into the set-up so far. As the silicone in the tank looked like it was starting to lift in a few spots, I removed all of the outer seal and replaced the silicon. Better safe than sorry.

Ive also built a stand for this set-up. I spent quite a lot of time looking at stand designs. I made a removable panel on one end of the stand so I can remove the sump when/if needed. The back and front are close enough to being exactly the same, so if we move and I need the panel on the other side, all I have to do is move the doors to the other side. I have enough room inside the stand to up-grade to a 55 gallon sump, should I feel the need for a bigger sump in the future (who am I kidding, I mean when I up-grade the sump). I also made the stand as high as I felt practical to allow for a bigger skimmer and a light should I need them in the future. My wife and I could not decide on wither we wanted to finish the stand with a medium brown stain (like the rest of our furniture) or paint it black. I ended up using a black stain instead. Its hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like black paint and you can still see almost all of the grain in the wood. I still have a little work left to complete on the stand. I need to sand it a little, give it another coat of urethane, and put the doors on it. I also need a little trim work on the top around the tank to give it a more finished look. We really like the look of it in the room. The black makes it stand out and it looks good.

I set-up the sump and water tested everything last night. Every worked as it should. The only thing I have to fix is the drain line into the sump. Theres a small leak somewhere. I think I might have forgotten the Teflon tape on the bulk head fitting. Ill just have to take it apart and reseal all of the threads. Once I got that fixed, I will run water through the system for about a week or two to make sure there are no leaks in the tank or sump. Just want a pc of mind as I bought them used (approx 10 years old).

When I tested the return pump, everything worked great. The level inside the sump stays at somewhere between 8 and 9 in the skimmer compartment, and around 6 in the rest. I even unplugged the pump to see what would happen when the power goes out. The water in the tank drained to just below the return line in the tank and the sump filled up to the top. No water on the floor. I plugged it back in and the water levels returned to the past levels. Ill just have to make sure I dont have any rock or corals that could be higher than the return line. I wont need a one way valve on the return line either which is good as that can restrict the flow. I made sure I had left some room to the right of the sump for a external pump. That side of the sump is drilled so I would like to up-grade my return pump at some point to use a external pump increasing the available space in the sump if I decide not to get a bigger sump. Right now the flow is somewhere between 1200 and 1400 gph based on last nights test. I cant really go much higher than 1400 gph with a 1.5 drain line unless I increase it to a 2 drain line or adding a second drain line.

As I dont like the look of equipment in my tanks, I covered the return line in the tank with dry rock. It looks less unnatural now. I also took a pc of clear plastic cut the same size as the internal overflow box and siliconed rock to it. I will attach this rock covered plastic to the overflow box when Im ready to cycle the tank. I did not want to attach the rock directly to the overflow box itself in case I dont like it or want to change it latter.

This weekend Ill be setting up my RO unit and making a few DIY caves to stack my rock on when I get enough $$$ together for it.

The only things I have left to get is: the rock, sand, two more power heads, and a phosphate reactor, and then Im ready for fish. It will be a FOWLR tank for a while until I can afford to turn it into a reef tank. I will be up-grading my lighting and skimmer before I will add any corals. Im also going to make a canopy for this set-up when the weather is better as I will have to complete this work in my un-heated garage.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    looking good so far!
    A lot of forethought going into this, very impressive!
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    Not too much of a up-date this time

I finally got around to setting up my RO unit this past week. I got a 4 stage unit with 75 gallon per day capacity and a 4 gallon storage tank. I tried mounting it under the sink, but it would not fit. I wanted the unit to be in the basement. I was the one that made the cabinets in the basement and when I did, I wasnt thinking about a RO unit. So I just set-up everything on the counter. That should be for the best. My employer still wants to transfer me out of Saskatoon so Ill play it safe for a while just in case I get an offer I cant say no to.

I got a second holding tank for it to increase the holding capacity of the RO water to just under 10 gallons. That way we will always have water available for our own use even when I would need to complete a water change on the tank. I just need to get a T fitting to connect both tanks (I accidently bought the wrong size fitting). Im going to try to take care of that today. Those fittings are hard to find.

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like your off top a great start. I would have thought the return would be in the overflow to keep it hidden, thats how our is. I like the rocks covering the return. Once its all covered in coraline you won't be able to tell its there

You'd be amazed at the amount of water you will go through in a week between top offs and water changes. You'll probably find those storage tanks won't be enough without you having to fill them daily. I use roughly 2-3 gallons a day top off plus 10 gallons a week for water changes. I personally use large rubbermaid totes for water storage. I have a 25 gallon used for mixing saltwater and a 18 gallon for ro/di. I have a float valve rigged up in the ro/di tote so I can fill it and not worry about overfilling it. Both totes are in the fish room and ro/di unit is in the kitchen. I just ran about 30 feet of the ro/di tubing along the ceiling from the kitchen to the fish room. Then I just turn it on and forget it.

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    Excellent point labnjab, I didn't factor in the top-up water.

I'm going to look into your suggestions

Thank-you

0 Not allowed!
    This past Thursday or Friday (can remember which day), I found and fixed the leek in the drain line. When I re-installed the fitting to the bulk-head flange, I over-tighten the fitting and broke the seal inside the tank. So a friend of mine gave me a hand taking the tank off the stand so I could take off the bulk flange off, and reseal it before re-installing it. Today, I filled it back up with tap water, started the return pump, and no leaks. I was going to let the silicone cure longer, but it had a little more than 72 hours and a friend of mine stopped by so we both figured we would just try it. Ill let it run for about a week just to make sure everything is water tight. It will be some time before I can buy all of the rock that I will need to cycle a 100 gallon system so I thought a long test period will help with my patients.

0 Not allowed!
    It may not look like much progress, but theres been a lot of work done this past week and some.

First off, I put the doors on the stand. I still have a little trim work to do, but not a lot of work left.

I siliconed the dry rock panels to the overflow

I got my dry rock for the tank so I could stack it in there and see how it looks. I also filled it up with tap water to test the flow around the rock and adjust the power heads from there. It looks like Ill need another few power heads.

After stacking the rock in place I may some PVC frames for the rock to sit on (and so it wont fall over) and use some silicone to hold them in place. But of course, that was after stacking them and restacking them at the store, then stacking them and restacking them in the tank. The rocks sit really flat on each other so I only need to hold them on place. I then used some rock epoxy putty to help make sure they do not move.

I now have 80 lbs of dry rock in the tank. When I get my live rock to cycle the tank, I will stack it in front of the current rock to give it a more natural look. Ill likely be getting about 30 to 40 lbs of live rock to cycle the tank. With any luck Ill have the cash for that just after X-mass.
    Last edited by Cliff; 10-18-2010 at 11:38 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Looking good and coming along nicely.
    you going to be out this way soon then if your made an offer you cant refuse
    16 tanks and counting

The more i look at your tank the more i want your tank in my tank!
    Chris