· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Attn. All Beginners

1 Not allowed!
    Dear Beginner,
    Welcome to the wonderful world of AC, and the aquarium hobby. You have found a great community of aquarium keepers who are passionate about this hobby, and who are increasing their knowledge daily. This is truly an amazing hobby with much to learn. That said, each of us must be willing to learn. You have come here seeking advice on how to best care for your new fish or advice on how to best setup your new tank. Please remember, the experience of most members here is measured in years, not days or weeks. some of us have spent 10+ years in this hobby, reading books, periodicals, and online articles about this hobby, as well as gleaning knowledge from fellow hobbyists. We do not give advice from the perspective of someone trying to make money (aka. your local fish store) but rather from the perspective of passionate hobbyists. Also, please understand that we are not going to lie to you or intentionally steer you in the wrong direction. We all have successful tanks, some with multiple successful tanks in many different niches of the hobby. If we advise you against a given course of action, we do so with the best interest of your fish in mind, and with your best interest in mind so that you will not become discouraged.

So, in short, please remember, you are coming here because you do not have the knowledge you need. We are here to impart the knowledge you need and to help you and guide you in the best possible direction. Please heed the advice you are given here, remember, we know more about this hobby than you do, and likely more than your "big box" pet store as well.

Thank you
    Sincerely, Concerned Member of Aquatic Community
    Last edited by ILuvMyGoldBarb; 12-31-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I appreciate the intent behind this post, but don't really appreciate someone posting and speaking for me - that post should not have been signed "The Members of Aquatic Community".
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    Well said. In other words, don't ask for advice from 40 others and then not take it!

sheamurai has a valid point.

0 Not allowed!
    Exactly. We have that happen all too often when people come here for advice, don't take it, then come back and ask why all of their fish died.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai
    I appreciate the intent behind this post, but don't really appreciate someone posting and speaking for me - that post should not have been signed "The Members of Aquatic Community".
    I agree, I do appreciate the words, but you are not William and do not speak for this forum nor do you speak for me.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai
    My intent was not to offend anyone. I signed it this way because I expect this is how the vast majority of members here feel. If this is a problem then it can be changed.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    My thing is with the stocking. Buying the wrong fish then coming here for advice is one thing. But I don't understand it when people come here and ask if a whale will work in their tank, you tell them no it will not, so they run out and buy a whale anyway.

It makes you want to head-bang your monitor.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    It is not that I don't agree with your post GB. Every time I help a new member get their tank started or an older member solve an issue they are having I am proving that I do agree. My posts and I speak for myself, and William speaks for this forum, and you should speak for yourself.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I changed the way I signed it. I never accused you of not agreeing with it the post. I simply stated that if people had a problem with the way I signed it, I would change it, and I did. End of story, no need to keep going with it.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the edit, much appreciated.
    20gal long planted community