· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Fish to avoid when starting out.

0 Not allowed!
    This here is a list that a few of us compiled of fish that should be avoided unless you are an experienced keeper and have the tank space.

1) The Pacu- This thing can get huge i mean huge. You need at least a 2000g tank to house this. They get up to 30 inches.

2) Iridescent Shark- These things get huge too! Just look them up on google and see what you find. They can get up to 4 ft.

3) The Red Tail Catfish- Another Monster catfish. They can get up to 4 feet in length. There is a two other kinds of them out there, Red Tail Catfish mated with a Shovel nose catfish which get larger and the Asian Red tail cat which get big to.

4) The Common pleco- This is one of the most misunderstood fish. These fish get very large and put off high bioload. Some have also been reported to suck of the slime of your fish. They can get up to 1-2 feet and should be kept in aquariums larger then 100 gallons.

5) Arowana- There are many different types of Arows. such as silvers, jardines, black, super reds and so on. The most common is the silver and they get big. They Get somewhere around 3-4 feet and a tank 2 times there size and need to be able to turn around.

6) Hi Fin Banded Loach- Some of you might not see this kind of fish at some might see it a lot. They get pretty large buts thats not the problem. They like cold water and don't do the best in tropical water. They also get aroudn 1-2 feet and like to shoal of at least 6 to keep them happy.

7) Bala Shark- These are really common too! They are a cool looking fish and may be sold under the name silver shark. They get big too! They get around a foot long and need to school. They need 350 and at least 6 to school with to be happy.

8) Tinfoil Barb- They have around the same standards as the Bala Shark.

9) Black tip Sharks catfish- They are sold as brackish and get 12 inches and need full marine tank when full grown. They also like to school.

10) A.gigas- The biggest freshwater fish in the aquarium trade. Enough said.

11) Any type of Sturgeon- They get huge almost as big as the fish above. They also need cold water and fast current.

These are some fish that need a bigger home then most of the beg. or even me can provide. I would do proper research before anyone should by these fish or any fish at that.
    Thanks for everyone who helped me make this list :)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Red Severum
    10) A.gigas- The biggest freshwater fish in the aquarium trade. Enough said.
    Largest Freshwater fish period. LOL

Good topic and good post.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Goldfish are coldwater water and should be in a species only tank.

Schooling fish mean just that.........they want several of their own, not one or two.

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    I found a link about the a.gigas :

http://www.ptcmetrology.com/Metrology_fishtech.html

Holy crap 15ft and 440 lbs.Thats a monster

Absolutly sticky
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMac
    I have never seen one.. anyone seen one?
    Yup, I've seen one, they have one at the Georgia Aquarium.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    I have only seen one in pictures...
    Thanks for all the great comments! i glad people enjoyed it!

0 Not allowed!
    well done nice thread
    juwel rio 180
    , 6 odessa barbs, 9 neon tetra, 3 keyhole cichlids, apistogramma cacatuoides, countless shrimp, apple snails
    10G (dozens of) blue pearl shrimp
    70L with jewel cichlid female
    7G tank 12 CRS (more like 60 at this stage)

Thirty-five is when you finally get your head together ,and your body starts falling apart.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    Largest Freshwater fish period. LOL

Good topic and good post.
    I put my money on the wells catfish allthough they seldom grow to their full lenght before being caught any longer.

( will avoid the mekong catfish discussion as I am assuming we are talking inches not pounds.)
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMac
    no kidding holly crap!

Wow I knew Arowanas got real big but holly crap!
    That fish is bigger than Sturgen!

I have never seen one.. anyone seen one?
    I saw one of those A. Gigas at the aquarium yesterday. Almost 10 feet long. It was housed with pacu, some sort larger catfish, oscars, TONS of geophagus cichlids, and an arowana.
    !~*Shockshockshad*~!
    30 gallon
    Heavily Planted SE Asian biotope
    -2 SAE's, 13 threadfin rainbows, 6 White Cloud Mtn. Minnows and a dwarf gourami

12 gallon
    2 bamboo shrimp, couple cherry shrimp, 10 neons, 6 CPD's and 8 spotted rasboras

75 gallon
    South American tank
    -1 Firemouth , 1 blue acara